Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:58 PM   #1

Default sx200 vs. sx210

I've decided on either getting the sx200 or the sx210. For those who have the sx200, how annoying is it to have the flash automatically pop up and can it be put back down if I don't need it?

Also, any speculation as to what will happen with the price of the 200 when the 210 hits the shelves?

Lastly, I just wanted to clarify for myself: the 200 does not zoom when taking video, correct?

One more thing...are there still rumors of an sx300 and what will be the differences with this camera compared to the two mentioned above?
michiganmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2010, 3:53 PM   #2

michiganmum-

I am a SX-200 user and to me the pop-up flash thing is easily adjusted to and is no big deal at all. I adjusted my hand grip on the camera, and it quickly become a non issue. Prices may indeed drop on the SX-200 cameras once the SX-210 cameras get on the dealer's shelves. However, the word on the street is that Canon plans to run the two cameras side by side, so the expected future price reduction on the SX-200 might not happen.

You are correct in saying that on the current SX-200 cannot zoom while filming HD video.

And the possibility of a SX-300 is gone. If anything, we will have to await PMA 2011 for more news on that one.

Here is one other possibility, with the Panasonic ZS-3 now at an all time low ($229 at B&H on 19 Feb) you can now afford to purchase a high performance slave flash to improve the indoor photo quality of the ZS-3 while still getting a camera with just about the best HD video on the market.

Have a great weekend

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:21 PM   #3

Default I bought the SX210 IS and really like it.

I bought the black SX210 IS. The zoom lens is excellent. The camera overall is excellent. I put up a review with sample images and video on my website. Have a look:
http://www.redhouseon7th.com/redhous...0IS/index.html

Oh, and don't worry about the site. I'm not a spammer. I have no advertising on my site. Search for it via Google if you're worried about clicking the link. I understand. I'm careful about the links I click, too.

Best,

-Mike
mikepieronek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:36 PM   #4
Super Moderator

thanks for the sample images mike.

couldn't help but notice that CA is pretty bad, is that on all shots, or is it just especially noticeable in this set?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:50 AM   #5

To me, the flash location is a non issue. In fact, I find it useful. When you want to be able to quickly switch between flash and no flash, set the flash on and hold it down when you want no flash and let it up when you want to use the flash. Much quicker than the menu.
With CHDK, the SX200 does have optical zoom, RAW and many more useful features. Check it out here:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/SX200IS
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_firmware_usage

Mike
mikegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:51 AM   #6

the price would come down a bit, and yes the 200 does not zoom when shooting video
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:50 AM   #7

The Canon SX-200 also has slow shot to shot times as well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:16 AM   #8

I have bought the SX210, the Main differences i had saw was SX210 has a higher megapixel count (14.1), Optical zoom is increased to 14x
Annoyingly misplaced pop up flash can be manually closed in the SX210 .Can use SDXC cards up to 2 TB on the SX210. SX200 is limited to SDHC
And most importantly, the SX210 allows optical zooming in video mode, the major reason I decided to wait for it and not get the SX200. I also think the stereo sound for video recording is also new as the SX200 does not have it.

Last edited by rochardgems; Apr 20, 2010 at 8:19 AM.
rochardgems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:03 AM   #9

I personally really liked the SX200. The SX210 does have some nice improvements with the increased zoom range, stereo microphones, and the ability to use the optical zoom while recording movies. However, I wasn't too impressed by it. The slimmer design makes it harder to reposition your left hand to avoid blocking the flash, shooting performance is just average, and image quality is not up top par with current PowerShots in that price range (good amount of CA as Dustin mentioned, etc).

I myself would look for a SX200. They should start to drop in price now that the SX210 is here.

You can find some good deals on our Compare Prices page.

Good luck with which ever model you choose.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:36 AM   #10

Unfortunately, as verified by Steve's recent review, of the Canon SX-210's increase to 14mp, has adversely affected and reduced the image quality substantially. The same thing happed to the Panasonic ZS7.

Sarah Joyce