Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:48 PM   #1

Default Does anyone like their Canon SX20?

I would love to purchase the SX20 but I've read a lot of comments how the image quality has suffered and the noise has increased. I tested the SX10 when it came out and was quite impressed with the IQ. I couldn't justify purchasing the SX10 at the time as I'd recently purchased two cameras. Now I'm chomping at the bit for the ultra zoom but am leary of the IQ.

If there are any SX20 users who feel the image quality is good I'd greatly appreciate hearing your feedback. Also, I'd appreciate hearing from others who have been disappointed.

Thanks!

MaryRose
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:42 PM   #2

Mary Rose-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

While I love and use multiple Canon cameras. My SX-10 was a bust! It showed considerable noise at any ISO setting above 400. The LCD image is poor and I continually had to work hard to get good image quality. It was nothing at all like I expected.

After trying everything, I began looking at the Panasonic FZ-35. My Goodness what a difference. Image quality was wonderful, the camera was a total performer in comparison.

Take my attached photo for example. I took this photo of my husband without flash, under fluorescent lighting, hand held at ISO 400. With the the SX-10 and its sibling, the SX-20 that photo would have been a nightmare. With the FZ-35 is was easy and done in a snap.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:07 AM   #3

Hi Sarah,

Thanks so much for replying and posting your photo. The photo is terrific! I can see why you like the FZ-35 so much.

After I posted this question yesterday I checked out the sample photos in the SX20 review on this site. ohmigod. I couldn't believe how horrible the IQ was! I was truly shocked. I couldn't live with that. I love Canon's color and their IQ on other Canon models in the past. I hope they are working on improvements for their next ultra zoom!

Thanks again, Joyce.

Mary
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Mary,

What sort of conditions are you wanting to shoot in and for what purposes?

The SX20 is better at the lower ISO settings than the Panasonic, but when you get to ISO800 and 1600 then the Panasonic takes the lead. However, I wouldn't really want to be doing too much at the higher ISO settings with either camera.

You might find this link interesting.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca..._results.shtml

Sarah, is it just me or is there some sort of purple cast on the right hand side of that photo?

Why would it have been a nightmare with the SX series over the Pany?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:10 AM   #5

Hi Mark,
Thanks so much for the link. Wow. Based on those comparison photos I'd definitely choose the SX20 over the other two cameras.

I would be using the camera for pics of the grandkids, landscape, indoors with and without flash. Pretty typical family photos. I usually don't use higher ISO's with a point n shoot. I have a DSLR that I lug around for that! I have an SD700 that I adore. The only reason for another camera right now would be the enticement of the ultrazoom which I really miss. (My first digital had 10x zoom.)

After seeing the comparison photos I'm wondering if I should purchase one and try it out myself. But if it didn't have the quality of the 700 photos I wouldn't keep it.

Thanks again for the link!

Mary
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:14 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Indoor low light no flash the Pany has it as the lens is about 1/2 a stop brighter and with that slightly better higher ISO it has the edge. For normal light, normal ISO then Canon possibly just, and you can add an external flash.

I really wouldn't like to choose as they are both at the top of their class with just very slightly different benefits. The Canon is heavier and larger which could be a consideration, it uses AA batteries (get some form or Hybrid ones if you go for it), the Pany is a Li pack......

Basically I didn't want you to write the Canon off as it is a good tool, but so is the Pany. If you can go and play with them then I would as you might like one menu system over the other, or the handling etc.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:29 AM   #7

Mark-

That slight purple cast you see on the right hand side of the photo is a result of the fact that that specific photo was a request photo, that I took under fluorescent lighting with the WB set to auto to demonstrate the ability of the auto WB to cope with a different light source.

The FZ-35 actually did a good job.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:08 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I know tastes/expectations vary but that much purple behind and looking again on the face wouldn't be what I class as doing a good job. Did you take a series of shots to ensure that this wasn't an anomaly with that much purple?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:39 PM   #9

""
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryRose View Post
I would love to purchase the SX20 but I've read a lot of comments how the image quality has suffered and the noise has increased.
I'm not sure about the image quality, but I've never had problems with camera lens noise being an issue. You might be able to hear the lens zooming in and out, but... I suppose it's possible that my zoom bothers other people though. Are you concerned about the noise bothering you, or others near you when you take the picture?

Frank

Last edited by Mark1616; Mar 1, 2010 at 5:18 PM.
cameraman-Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 5:27 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Hi Frank, welcome to Steve's. I've removed the links to your site in the thread as we don't allow advertising. Also the OP was talking about image noise rather than a audible noise.