Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 7, 2010, 2:50 PM   #1

Default A520 Can you tell me more about "Slow Shutter"?

Hello.

I have a Canon A520 on a tripod, used primarily for taking ebay pictures. Results range from better-than-average to pretty good.

But that doesn't mean that I shouldn't optimize my settings so it would be pretty good all the time. However, Canon doesn't explain the Mode knob well enough for me to understand it.

The knob had always been in the P (automatic) setting. Since the camera is always on a tripod anyway, I thought I might find an automatic setting biased toward longer exposures and more depth of field. There is, however, no such setting offered in the manual. There is, however, a "Long Exposure" setting, provided (it says) for the purpose of making water look fluffy. I like fluffy water well enough but I didn't know it was so popular that it merited its own hardware setting.

The book does not say whether this setting affects the aperture size, or whether it compensates for the lengthened exposure in some other way. Do you know anything about how this camera deals with this?

Thank you.

PB
Permanent Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 3:54 PM   #2

permanentbeginner-

I am sorry to say that I am not thoroughly knowledgeable on the Canon A-520 camera. Personally, I use a Samsung SL420 camera for my E-Bay photos. All of my shots are handheld, and taken without flash. Overall I am very pleased with my camera. I have attached a link on which can click that will give you a sample photo produced by the SL420.

Sarah Joyce

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Sa...59_G67Py-L.jpg
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 6:12 PM   #3

PB, have you seen the review on the A520? It may have the info you're looking for..

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...20-review.html

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 6:35 PM   #4

PB, as far as the fluffy water thing and the long exposures, there is no magic to that. As you probably already know, "proper" exposure is made up of four things, which interact with each other proportionately, They are Shutter speed, Aperture, ISO, and available light. On a bright sunny day, in order for ANY camera to capture the fluffy water, a long shutter opening is required. At the same time, a low ISO number and tiny aperture are both required. If the scene is bright enough, the camera will "run out" of available apertures(small enough), and/or low enough ISO settings, and at this point, additiona hardware is required, in the form of a neutral density filter, which reduces the amount of light entering the camera, and "tricks" the meter. No camera magic involved..

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:11 PM   #5

That camera has an aperture that is dependent on the zoom you are set at (from 2.6-5.5) so if you zoom out more dof and if you zoom in less.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote