Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:13 PM   #1

Default Does a Class 6 SHDC solve the judder of compact cameras video recording?

When you play a HD video recorded in compact cameras like mine -SD780-, you see a "jump" or so called "judder" every X frames.

I was wondering: Is this an issue of slow writing of frames to the memory? Could be solved by using a faster than 45mb/s SDHC, for example the latest Sandisk Extreme IV?

Or there´s nothing we can do to fix it ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards!
gonza2vias is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:05 AM   #2

gonza-

Usually it is your computer lacking the necessary resources, if you are using a Class 6 card and you see the "judder."

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:19 PM   #3

Fastest videos produce Canon 5DMII, 7D, SX10, 550D ... all with 43 Mbps, these are 5.4 MBps !

EVERY class6 card is fast enough! If you want to make dealers or Sandisk rich, buy their overkilling cards - perhaps they send a greeting-holiday-card from Honolulu or Fidji-island.

My cheap Transcend class6 cards (8gb, 16gb) write with ~ 10 to 12 MBps.

Just for fun I bought a Transcend class10 card (nearly same price like class6), writing with 14.5 - 16 MBps ... total unnecessary.

READ speed differs for class4/6/10 only few ... ~ 16 - 18 MBps.

WRITE speed of class6 is guarranted to be > 6 MBps.

Last edited by DonalDuc; Mar 19, 2010 at 12:22 PM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 6:09 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonza2vias View Post
When you play a HD video recorded in compact cameras like mine -SD780-, you see a "jump" or so called "judder" every X frames.

I was wondering: Is this an issue of slow writing of frames to the memory? Could be solved by using a faster than 45mb/s SDHC, for example the latest Sandisk Extreme IV?

Regards!
Try using Mirillis Splash Lite (freeware) and see if the problem persists during playback. Splash Lite is quite capable of playing back AVCHD and other HD formats on even slower PCs with no stuttering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
Fastest videos produce Canon 5DMII, 7D, SX10, 550D ... all with 43 Mbps, these are 5.4 MBps !

EVERY class6 card is fast enough! If you want to make dealers or Sandisk rich, buy their overkilling cards - perhaps they send a greeting-holiday-card from Honolulu or Fidji-island.

My cheap Transcend class6 cards (8gb, 16gb) write with ~ 10 to 12 MBps.

Just for fun I bought a Transcend class10 card (nearly same price like class6), writing with 14.5 - 16 MBps ... total unnecessary.

READ speed differs for class4/6/10 only few ... ~ 16 - 18 MBps.

WRITE speed of class6 is guarranted to be > 6 MBps.
Once again you have provided a bit of misinformation. All Class 6 cards do not perform the same and only a fool would believe that they do. That does not mean that you need to get the most expensive card out there, but you should do your research before sinking your money into a certain card regardless of the card's price. The class rating is simply the minimum write speed that a given card can obtain which in no way relates to a sustained transfer rate. A card that can sustain a 6 MBps speed for 30 seconds for example is certainly going to perform better than a card that can only sustain it for 10 seconds.

Last edited by Acheron; Mar 27, 2010 at 6:12 PM.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 5:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonza2vias View Post

Regards!
Does this occur if you watch the video from the cameras screen?
If it does then there might be a problem with the camera or memory card.

If the video playback is ok, then it's your computer that is causing it.
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote