Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:29 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Jim, not I think you are speaking a totally different language to the one I know LOL.... good job we have some people who understand this technical stuff.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:38 AM   #12
Administrator

Core i7 is really the way to go if you're working with video a lot and have the budget, as most transcoding tools will take advantage of more cores. You'll see some benchmarks here using Adobe CS4 Premiere to Edit Video (and they use a mixture of things including transitions, color correction, frame rate conversion, etc. for this benchmark). The Core i7 CPUs "run circles" around other most CPU types for video. Faster times are at the top.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...-CS4,1404.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:52 AM   #13
Administrator

As a reminder to anyone viewing this thread, we have a relatively new Forum now for discussion about Computers, Operating Systems and related accessories (storage, monitors, etc.). As demanding as some tasks are now (video viewing/editing, working with raw files, HDR software, etc.) with more hardware requirements, I thought starting a forum specific to PC hardware and operating systems be a good idea. But, it hasn't received much use yet. So, if anyone is looking to upgrade their PC, I'd urge you to start a thread there:

Computers and Operating Systems

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:13 PM   #14

Heads Up: Off thread-topic post

[QUOTE=JimC;1078948]It's my understanding that the Core i7 920 is discontinued now (replaced by the slightly faster Core i7 930). If you go that route, I'd probably go 6GB (three 2GB Sticks), 9GB (three 2 GB Sticks, three 1GB sticks) or 12GB (six 2GB sticks) instead though (unless you want even more memory and want to use the rather expensive 4GB sticks). lol[quote]

Yes most of the Core i7 9xx are the same chip I believe, just run at different clock rates without overclocking via BIOS settings. You can see here: http://cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html that all the 9xx series go up in their model #, clock speed, and thus benchmark score.

The big advantage of the 920 is that it runs cool (thus, less fan noise) and is MUCh less expensive than the higher end i7 chips.
DarkSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Core i7 is really the way to go if you're working with video a lot and have the budget, as most transcoding tools will take advantage of more cores. You'll see some benchmarks here using Adobe CS4 Premiere to Edit Video (and they use a mixture of things including transitions, color correction, frame rate conversion, etc. for this benchmark). The Core i7 CPUs "run circles" around other most CPU types for video. Faster times are at the top.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...-CS4,1404.html
That is an excellent listing - shows real-life applications of the chips. But all this is making me feel bad, as I spend $1800 on my camera + accessories instead of my new PC

PS: feel free to move this entire thread over to the PC tech forum
DarkSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:57 AM   #16

Default still having problems

I cant seem to get the video to play back well. I too have a T2i and everytime i try to play the hd video it comes out all choppy... so i tried the spash player which plays the video decently well but the audio is all screwed up.. so i either get good video and bad audio or the opposite. its not my computer because i get the same problem on other more powerful computers. even when i try to convert to a different format the audio is still odd.. please help
imprtslyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 3:00 PM   #17

What video converter are you using and what format are you converting to?

I'd convert to h.264 format, with at least 5000kbps data bitrate for 1920x1080 (8000 preferred).

Find some 1080HD video off youtube and try to display that full screen. If your PC has problems still, then it's due to slow CPU/Video card. Although this isn't the best test since Youtube vids are all re-encoded to lower bitrates anyway.

But try converting to h.264 of DIVX format and see if it plays better after that.
z0diac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:56 PM   #18

well i have pinnacle studio and i used that to convert but it doesnt offer the format above.. what software sould i get to convert to that format?
imprtslyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:56 AM   #19

Default T2i video problem

Ok. Here is the deal. The problem has nothing to do with your hardware. Your processor is fine, you have plenty of RAM. So don't fall for the "get more RAM" crap. I have a very high end quad core processor(Phenom II x4 3.4Ghz), 4 Gigs of RAM(DDR3 1600), and the newest Asus mobo. I have the same problem. My CPU levels is sustained 35% during playback. Its hardly using the 4 cores. So its not a processor performance issue. It only used up 900 megs of 4 gigs of RAM. So its not a RAM issue either. The issue is the mov decoder you are using. The decoder is just way too slow for the good quality video of the T2i. Its true that using ffdshow, splash lite, vlc will all play the clip smoothly. But the video quality is not the same as the source file using quick time/ .mov decoder. The color level is compressed, so is the contrast and the picture resolution. There is just no way to play a T2i .mov smoothly with full source quality in a PC period. Unless, someone writes a more efficient mov decoder that doesn't compress the video. I am a broadcast/post production engineer for a major TV network. I've brought home 4:2:2 150 mbps full broadcast quality video home and played it with better results. I have also brought the T2i .mov files to work and played it on a professional edit station, with the same sluggish play back. I am talking about 8 cores, 8 gigs of ram, 10k sata drives, and quadro fx5800 cards. So the bottom line is, the problem we all are having has little to do with the hardware. Its simply the .mov codec not working well in PC. The only way that I found to play the T2i .mov at full quality and smoothly is using a Mac pro w/ 8 cores, 8 gigs of ram. By the way, a simple way to force Media Player Classic to use ffdshow instead of mov to decode is to rename your .mov file to .hdmov . That way you don't have to use any converters. Or the other way is to simply uninstall your quick time player and the mov codec. Media Player classic using ffdshow is much more efficient on the CPU. Mine only used 5% of the CPU where as the same clip used 30% when playing from VLC or Splash. The video quality between Media Player Classic ffdshow, VLC, and splash is identical.

The preview problem you have with Vegas is also caused by the stupid mov codec.
twnismo is offline   Reply With Quote