Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:02 PM   #1

Default Canon EOS T2i video probs

Can these cameras truly capture [email protected] ? I had it set at that setting since I got the camera (3 days ago) and *all* the tests I've done have had the video breaking up a lot.

It shouldn't be the card, as I'm using a SanDisk Ultra III (class 10).

I just did one test at 24fps and the breaking up seems to have stopped.

Also, is there a setting I'm missing to be able to use it more like a regular camcorder? I realize that's not the purpose of this camera per se, but whenever the subject moves forward or backward from the lens, it goes out of focus. I was just wondering if anyone knew of some setting that would run some sort of continuous focus mechanism so I didn't have to push the shutter button half-way to 'jump' it back into focus. ( ? )

Thanks in advance!!
DarkSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:55 PM   #2
Super Moderator

is it breaking up when you review on camera, or when you view on your computer.

it could be that you don't have the computing power to keep up
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
is it breaking up when you review on camera, or when you view on your computer.

it could be that you don't have the computing power to keep up
Hmm... it's an Athlon dual-core X2 5000+, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon x1950pro video card, which can usually play even very high bitrate (50mbps) 1080 video smoothly.

But I've even tried converting it from MOV to Xvid, Divx, MP4.. the breakup is still shown on the converted files. And if I copy the original MOV to an external HDD and play it on my media player (Patriot Box Office player) on my TV, it shows these horizontal 'scan lines' going across the video from time to time.

But I just made a test file , and it plays back without breakup on the camera.

EDIT: the last test file I made played fine on my media player. Just not my PC. Even though my PC plays 1080p movies regularly, they must all be 24fps. It must just be [email protected] that it can't handle. Although I'm using VLC Player to play MOV files (I refuse to install any Apple product on my PC) and I'm not sure how well it handles them. Although VLC is easily the best video player out there when it comes to handling formats, broken/corrupt videos, etc.

I'll convert this latest MOV to MPG2, Divx, and MP4 and see if it breaks up.

EDIT 2: I lowered the bitrate on a conversion -> AVI (Divx) @ 8000kbps video bitrate and it seems to be playing fine on my PC. So my previous conversions of MOV -> MPG2 with 26,000kbps bitrate @ 30fps must have been pushing the video card's limits (although 26mbps @ 30fps and 26mbps video @ 24fps is still 26mbps... weird)

The catch22 is that I was going to either get a new camera, or build a new computer (Core i7 920, 8GB triple channel ram, ATI Radeon 8750 video card) and I went with the camera since I don't do much gaming on my computer, mostly just video editing. So now I have the ability to produce HD videos that I can edit, but no playback on my PC in original quality! Hehe

Last edited by DarkSky; Apr 12, 2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 1:39 AM   #4
Super Moderator

it really is amazing how much computer it takes to handle these large high bitrate full hd video. i don't think people realize just how intensive it is.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:22 AM   #5
Super Moderator

What you are explaining in playback is a common problem with new HD video formats. You can find a lot of good info at http://www.cinema5d.com/news/ where all they do is play with video (well 95% of the time).

Also you can try downloading Splash player, this is a lot better at handling these files. I don't have any issues with my simple laptop (2 years old, Centrino Duo, 3Gb RAM) with video from my 5DmkII or 7D.

I also use WinFF to do simple and fast conversions to lower bit rates which can help even more.

At http://www.cinema5d.com/ you will be able to get a lot of advice and see the great work these guys are producing on Canon kit.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
What you are explaining in playback is a common problem with new HD video formats. You can find a lot of good info at http://www.cinema5d.com/news/ where all they do is play with video (well 95% of the time).

Also you can try downloading Splash player, this is a lot better at handling these files. I don't have any issues with my simple laptop (2 years old, Centrino Duo, 3Gb RAM) with video from my 5DmkII or 7D.

I also use WinFF to do simple and fast conversions to lower bit rates which can help even more.

At http://www.cinema5d.com/ you will be able to get a lot of advice and see the great work these guys are producing on Canon kit.
Thanks! Yes I do video editing as part of my job and am very familiar with all the codecs/requirements, but MOV is the one format I've always stayed away from, being predominantly an APPLE format. It was popular for a short time when it first came out, along with RM (RealMedia) at the time, but went pretty much defunct (also, along with RM )

For HD files I prefer H.264 inside an MKV container, or DivX, or MPG2. 'Not quite sure what made Canon choose MOV when there's many more popular formats out there.

That site you mentioned looks VERY interesting so far!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:54 AM   #7
Super Moderator

It's true, and it's one reason I almost bought a Mac.... honestly it is so simple to edit on one using these files, I had a play but couldn't justify the move of systems and getting new software etc as I'm getting married soon. If you can switch everything will become silky.

However, do check out the guys at cinema5D, that's your best resource as most of us here only play a little with video at best.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
It's true, and it's one reason I almost bought a Mac.... honestly it is so simple to edit on one using these files, I had a play but couldn't justify the move of systems and getting new software etc as I'm getting married soon. If you can switch everything will become silky.

However, do check out the guys at cinema5D, that's your best resource as most of us here only play a little with video at best.
For easy video editing on the PC try ULead VideoStudio, or Sony Vegas. Both allow multiple video/audio tracks, with overlays, transition effects, and have tons of features and are relatively easy to use. Of course, Adobe Premiere is another (more expensive/complicated though). But alas, I'm going off topic.

I think I'll just batch-convert my MOVs from the T2i into high-bitrate (24Mbps) MPG2 or MP4s which my current arsenal of video editing programs can work with easily.

Cheers!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:12 AM   #9
Super Moderator

I use Premiere elements which does enough for my messing around. I've considered Vegas a few times as it seems to get some decent reviews but for the limited amount of video I get around to doing then Premiere does the trick.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:27 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky View Post
...The catch22 is that I was going to either get a new camera, or build a new computer (Core i7 920, 8GB triple channel ram, ATI Radeon 8750 video card) and I went with the camera since I don't do much gaming on my computer, mostly just video editing.
It's my understanding that the Core i7 920 is discontinued now (replaced by the slightly faster Core i7 930). If you go that route, I'd probably go 6GB (three 2GB Sticks), 9GB (three 2 GB Sticks, three 1GB sticks) or 12GB (six 2GB sticks) instead though (unless you want even more memory and want to use the rather expensive 4GB sticks). lol

That's because you have to stick with match sets of 3 DIMMs if you want tri-channel memory addressing with the Bloomfield CPUs. That's why the Socket 1366 (Intel X58 chipset) Motherboards you find for them have 6 DIMM slots. If you go 8GB (for example four 2GB DIMMs), you only get dual channel addressing.

There's probably not a lot of performance difference for most apps going dual channel addressing. But, you'd have more bandwidth to memory with the potential for some apps to perform better if you use tri-channel addressing instead with that CPU (going with either 3 or 6 DIMMs).

Note that the Lynnfield (socket 1156) Core i7 CPUs (Core i7 860, Core i7 870, etc.) don't support tri-channel addressing. So, Motherboards you find for them have 4 versus 6 DIMM slots.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote