Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:36 PM   #1

Default SX1 upgrade FPS stills speed?

I am ready for a new high zoom camera. I like my Canons. 20x is plenty for me and I trust the optics of Canon. But, I have played with a 10 FPS burst mode of another camera and would love to have that for kids sports pics. SX1 is at 4 fps. Some talk of a new replacement for SX1 so I am going to hold off for a bit to see if something is coming to market.

Any rumors about a new one? I don't want a SLR. I came so close to ordering a SX1 but now don't want to wish I had a faster still rate.

What is coming and how long will I have to wait?

Thanks,

Dayton
Ranger690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:25 PM   #2

Follow up question: Instead of the still FPS rate, what about a SX20, with HD movie recording and then extracting a still frame from the video. I have an S3 IS and S5 IS now, and I know the movie quality is low, but an easy upgrade to SX20 or SX210, and pulling stills from the HD video might just work for me?

Just started playing with Zoom browser. Easy to pick a still image from the movie. Low res but it works.

My wife and I will be in charge of putting together an elementary school yearbook next school year, so I have got some work to do. Have to learn to do more than snap pics and save 'em. Want to get some action shots from outdoor play and school programs. Maybe just record a bunch and go search for useable stills. Don't need super high res for yearbook uploading.

Still gonna have to move up to HD movies on a non-slr camera. Maybe a SX20 or SX1 is in my future.

Thanks,

Dayton

Last edited by Ranger690; Apr 19, 2010 at 4:33 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:29 PM   #3

good luck with that yearbook, Dayton! I ended up loving the Fuji HS10 which had the burst, 10fps, HD vid, and a great little lens! I am very happy w/it so far, it feels equal to the SX1 to me in almost every way - except possibly customer service. I got it from a place with at least *some* customer service, but it is still so new, it isn't in local stores yet. I tried out the SX20 too, but I felt the shot to shot was way slower. Peace!
andytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:54 AM   #4

Thanks Andy. Do I understand correctly about the HS10, that the zoom is manual only? If so, does it slide like an old SLR lens or do you have to twist it? Do you find it wierd at all? Do you miss the power zoom feature?

The specs on the HS10 are pretty awesome. I'd like to handle one.

Thanks,

Dayton