Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 16, 2010, 11:22 PM   #1

Default Canon SX210IS High Noise Auto ISO

I just got a new Canon SX210IS and I have a few questions about the Auto Mode/Auto ISO setting. My first few pictures were taken in Auto mode in a fairly well lit room, but the Auto ISO setting selected either 640 ISO or 800 ISO. Viewing these photos on the computer disappointed me because I found that the level of noise when I zoomed in on a face in the photos made the pictures look to be much lower quality than I was able to get with my previous digital camera, the Canon S70 (7.1 MP vs 14.1 MP).

Is this selection of higher ISO/higher noise/lower quality typical of current digital cameras, Canon or otherwise?

I really like some of the new scene features of this camera, but unless I can use these features without sacrificing quality, I do not feel they are worth it. Other than using a non-auto/non-scene mode, is there anyway to force the maximum Auto ISO setting to be less than 640?

Thank you for any help and advice,
Pete
CanonPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2010, 12:58 PM   #2

pete-

It is all about using your SX-210's built-in flash unit when needed. P+S cameras, generally speaking cannot be used without flash indoors. You would get much better results using the camera's built-in flash unit, getting away from the auto mode and using the "P" for Programed Auto Mode.

When you use Auto/AutoISO the camera has full control and the first thing it wants to do is to escalate the ISO setting. As you found, the results are not pleasant.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 2:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
P+S cameras, generally speaking cannot be used without flash indoors.
It's a tradeoff, in low lighting with my SX1 I often use hi-iso and continuous shooting and get grainy pictures.
But thats better than one with flash that misses the action, or one that is blurry.
Grainy and ugly noisy picture or no picture at all, cold pizza or no pizza.
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 1:22 PM   #4

egsise-

Flash technique is enhanced when you have a hot shoe and can use an external flash with bounce and diffused lighting. It can be very creative.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 25, 2010, 2:43 PM   #5

External flash with less than 0.5sec recycle time....bit too expensive for me.
Old May 25, 2010, 3:38 PM   #6

Egsise-

Normal external flash units like the canon EX-270 and the EX-430 work fine for me.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old May 25, 2010, 9:43 PM   #7

Like i said, don't have the money for speedlite(and i doubt that the recycle time would be less than 0,5sec when using ceiling bounce).
The op has a sx210 so no hotshoe, i just pointed out that it is better to have a noisy picture than no picture.