Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 30, 2010, 1:14 PM   #11

Sarah,

That is the very case I have for my G11.

The CHKD is an evolving bootable series of scripts that allows different functions the camera is able to do but not programmed as we get it from the manufacturer. The scripts are constantly updated with different functions being made available. The features that stand out with me is using it as a motion sensor camera and the upping the shutter speed and iso. The Canon A650 initially was an ok camera and did not perform as well as the predecessors A610 and A620. The CHKD came out for the A650 and made the camera a much better one and most of all allowed it to record in RAW which it didn't without CHKD.

Personally, even though it is done with a bootable SD card I don't want to even remotely want to take a chance of turning my G11 into a brick.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 1:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The Case Logic TBC303 model case is just about a perfect fit for the G-11.
But what happens if using the neck strap? is that case big enough?
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 1:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
Personally, even though it is done with a bootable SD card I don't want to even remotely want to take a chance of turning my G11 into a brick.
Same happens to me...I'm new into Digital Photo World, And not used to play "tunning" electronic devices...so, if the G11 has everything I need to develop my skills (or at least most of the neccesary thing), I will stay like this...perhaps in some time, if CHKD evolves better for this model, and it is not hard to "set up", I will give it a chance...

Using the camera...is it usual to have it missing focus in long zoom end?
Some how I feel that is happening often...

We are having cloudy days...so light conditions are not good (and I'm a newbie...I need light!), but as soon as climate goes better, I will go out for a walk searching for some good shoots (or at least some good attemps!)

Thank you both, Sarah and Viz!
Old May 30, 2010, 2:32 PM   #14

Wrapping the strap around the camera edges fits and snugly. The strap does provide a bit more protection that way.

Being new to the wonderful world of digital photography you will find it will take lots of practice with any camera. Some more than others. You may find that you may be missing focus on the long end due to the shutter speed not being fast enough for the focal length.

If shutter speed is low you need to use that tripod to get better results. Try the same distance shot on a tripod and then hand held. Tuck those elbows in close against your body to keep steady. Having those elbows pointing outward can contribute to not have the camera steady for a long shot.
Old May 31, 2010, 2:42 PM   #15

Thanks VIZ!

For me, as a begginer, would you suggest to shot only JPEG, JPEG + RAW, or what?
I have no idea of PP...I know I will have to learn...but step by step...
Old May 31, 2010, 4:52 PM   #16

I would shoot in RAW for situations that may cause some white balance challenges. Other than that I shoot in JPEG. I would start there and as you get more comfortable with the camera itself.

PP (Post Processing) will come about in due time. The ones I pointed out are free no trial before you buy. I mainly use PhotoFiltre for PP and Fast Stone for viewing my shots. Picasa is probably the easiest one stop for viewing and some PP. Open up a google account and you can easily upload your photos for viewing for family and friends.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:39 AM   #17

OK...next friday is my son's birthday party, so I hope I can take some pics to practice...
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:47 AM   #18

a Class 4 SD card is enough? or for video and burst or RAW shooting a higher class is suggested?
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
OK...next friday is my son's birthday party, so I hope I can take some pics to practice...
kids + party = lots of action and movement. The G11, and any point and shoot camera is not an action camera, when compared to a DSLR. To compensate, learn to half-press your shutter button to set the focus and measure exposure, and then complete the shutter press to take the shot at, hopefully, just the right time. To help the process, make sure you have AF Servo turned on, this will allow the camera to continue to focus and measure exposure during the half-press of the shutter.

If you do shoot in RAW, and possibly also are set to RAW + JPEG, then expect longer delays between shots as the camera has to store a lot more information before it will let you shoot again. I would recommend you do not shoot in RAW for your son's party to cut down the time between the next shot.

If you use the built in flash, expect longer times between shots, because the flash has to recharge. I would recommend setting your ISO to Auto, and not using the flash. Many folks prefer using the P mode, as Sarah suggested, and then you can adjust various settings. One thing to consider if you use flash is to lower the power setting through the Function button, so that you don't overpower the subject at close range. Many other G11 users recommend a small external flash to mount on the G11 hot shoe. A popular recommendation is the Canon 270EX, because it is designed for a Canon like the G11, and it's head can be pointed up at the ceiling for bounce lighting.

You said your son's party is "next" Friday, but I don't know whether that is today or a week from now. If you have a week left, try practicing the above.

enjoy your new G11, I really love mine, since I moved up from my G9,
Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:14 PM   #20

Unfortunately yesterday I couldn't left the office before 6 p.m. (damn reporting meetings!) so I missed all the action in the party!

Besides that, thaks dennis for the tips!

You can find some pics here: http://www.dpreview.com/Galleries/8737511978/photos

Regards,