Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 29, 2010, 11:24 AM   #1

Default Newbie with G11

Dear folks,

Today I got very surprised when my dad came to my home and said: “I’ve got a present for you”…it was a Canon G11!!!

So, I’m very pleased receiving this kind of present from my Dad…

The only stunning thing is that he bought the G11 because he heard me talking about it as a part of my shortlist, but without being sure if it was the finally selected camera…and during recent weeks, I was day after day much closer to Fuji HS10!!!
But no problem at all…I will enjoy the G11 a lot…I’m sure I will do…and then, in coming future, will add a super zoom like the HS10 (and why not a DSLR if I’m experienced enough by that time). That means that I will try to develop my skills with the stuff I have now…and then I will go further to expand my equipment…HS10 perhaps will lead a new trend of features within other brands, so I will keep an eye on super-zoom market.

So, now, I finally got my own equipment…I received my G11 with a 2Gb SD card (a Kingston…no identification of which Class…I will take a look at SD issue).
I will need to buy a good case, to properly protect the camera, so as I won’t have extra stuff, I need a ¿cushioned? case with enough room for the camera and the neck strap, tight enclosed inside. There it goes the first point I need your suggestions based on your wider experience compared to mine. Which case fits OK for G11???

Right now, an external flash is not in my plans, but, what accessories would you suggest me to go for? I’ve already have a tripod (a Slik U2000)…

Then, as I am a non-experienced and non-skilled wannabe amateur (oh God, that looks like the only thing I have is enthusiasm), I will need some tips, tricks, and guidelines for getting introduced to Photography World, and also to the G11.
So, if you can suggest me tips, books (better in Spanish, but no problem in English) on general photography, on G11, and on post processing (tips, books and software suggestions are welcomed), and give me proper “common” settings for the G11, I will thank you a lot!

I don’t see many posts about G11 or from G11 direct users, so I don’t have pretty much sources of info (or perhaps I’m choosing wrong where to find the desired info…)
I’ve seen some websites talking about CHKD for Canon G11…Have any of you tried that? I’m not used at all to work with those kind of things, and I thinks that Canon would have done already a good job with camera’s firmware (besides there is no update available…), but perhaps one who had tried realized that there are some benefits and no cons using CHKD…(My camera’s firmware is 1.0.0.0…)

So, from now on, I will need your support, and will practice a lot to improve my skills, I will share some photos to receive your feedback…

As I still have to finish my thesis, there is not going to be much action from my side for the next weeks, but I will be collecting all your inputs to enlarge my knowledge basis…

Thanks a lot for your time and patience…

Regards,
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2010, 5:52 PM   #2

Eugenio-

As you might have guess I also own a Canon G-11, as well as numerous other cameras. Scott Kelby has written a whole series of books that would be useful for you. They are called the Digital Photography Book 1 through 4. They are very good.

As to using your G-11, after charging the battery and powering on the camera set the G-11 not to the Automatic Mode but to the "P" or Programed Auto Mode, that will allow you access to many more features than you would have available in the Automatic Mode.

The G-11 is an easy camera to use. When taking a photo be sure to depress the shutter release half way so that the camera can focus your photo,. As soon as you receive focus conformation, fully depress the shutter release and take your photo.

Be sure to read through you Owner's Manual completely.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 6:11 PM   #3

Sarah, thanks a lot for your support!
I will try to get thos Scott Kelby's books, to start learning...
Old May 29, 2010, 6:48 PM   #4

I couldn´t find anything about the Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Book volume 4...
Old May 29, 2010, 7:32 PM   #5

Eugenio-

perhaps I am incorrect I know that Kelby had completed volumes 1 through 4, and Volume 4 of Scot Kelby was due to be printed next. Well surely volumes 1 through 3 will give you a very good tutorial.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 30, 2010, 7:56 AM   #6

Sarah,

Yes, it is enough material for a while!

I will start learning "general facts" on photography, and then, perhaps, will move to PP...

Besides you returned your G11 some weeks after buying it...Any particular tip about G11?

Regards,
Old May 30, 2010, 8:31 AM   #7

I have a G11 and found the neckstrap provided was a bit of a bother when using the swivel screen. I have since gone to a wrist strap instead. You will definitely need a bag for this and what I use is from a company called, "Case Logic". I don't know the model or model number. It is an odd size camera as far as bag choices go.

Use the "P" mode as Sarah pointed out. Scott Kelby book series is a must buy in my opinion. Truly a great series with some humor added in.

As for PP programs, there are some free ones out there for quick edits. Irfanview, PhotoFiltre, Picasa, Faststone (which is also a decent photoviewer as well). Gimp is another program that is used by many which has probably the most options for PP and is much like Photoshop. Opanda and PhotoMe are exif viewers that are also very useful.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 10:09 AM   #8

Thanks for your suggestion vIZnquest

Could it be this one? http://www.caselogic.com/medium_came...modelid=133875

In Case Logic homepage a "case selection" wizard says that the G11 won't fit in...
Anyway, they have a chart showing compatibility of each case with several camera models...and the G10 would fit the following models: TBC-303, SLDC-202, XNDC-28 & XNDC-58.

But there are more brands, like LowPro, with good cases for G10/11...I have to see what I find

Big hug,
Old May 30, 2010, 10:10 AM   #9

I will start using it in P mode...

And I will try to get some Kelby's books to have fun with!

PP will be a task for the future, after improving a bit in general performance...
Old May 30, 2010, 10:24 AM   #10

That is a very good beginning, Eugenio-

I initially returned my G-11, because I was able to find a G-9 on sale for a very good price. So the G-9 essentially became my G-11. The two cameras are rather similar.

Like Viz, I did away with the neck strap and prefer a wrist strap. As you will learn from reading Scott Kelby's books seeing and being able to analyze lighting is one of the first steps toward taking better photos. Just like concert pianists, the more photographers practice, the better they get.

That is why shooting a lot with your new camera is indeed part of the learning and familiarization process. The Case Logic TBC303 model case is just about a perfect fit for the G-11.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 30, 2010 at 11:01 AM.