Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:57 PM   #1

Default How to video fireworks canon SX20 IS

I know the canon has a fireworks mode for taking still shots. I have on old camcorder that has a fireworks mode (infinity setting). Any ideas on setting for filming fireworks in 720p with the SX20 IS?
Thanks
krogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:31 PM   #2

lock the focus and exposure?
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 1:21 PM   #3

Speaking of photographing fireworks I would say to use caution. This is what happened to my 1 yr. old 9 megapixel 10x optical zoom digital camera when I made a video of my friend lighting a sparkler. It created a permanent dark blotchy spot area in the center of the frame that shows up on every photo with a light background in that area. I also had set the ISO to like 400 or 800 to compensate for the sun going down and getting dark outside. So the camera's sensor was very sensitive which I believe contributed to the sensor damage. It probably would not have happened if the ISO had been set to 100 but that is just speculation. To repair the camera is probably going to be more expensive than buying a good used one so I will likely sell it as a damaged camera and buy another one.
With July 4 celebrations coming up, I am posting this as a word of caution to anyone wanting to shoot sparkler lighting. I believe it was the flare up of the initial lighting of the sparkler that caused the damage, not the sparkler burning after is was already lit. Another more serious concern is what this might do to your eyes looking directly at the flare up if it is strong enough to burn a highly sensitized camera sensor with a high ISO setting.
J Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:44 AM   #4

I discovered using the still picture scene mode for fireworks works great for filming them to.
krogan is offline   Reply With Quote