Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:05 AM   #1

Default Which Canon best for mostly indoor photos?

I have been on a quest for some time, and I don't like not having arrived yet! Twice I thought I had arrived--tried the G11 and then a Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS7. Love some of the features of both, but am not pleased with indoor picture quality on either (I'm still wondering if the G11 I tried had a specific problem--it also was way too easy to push the menu buttons every time I grabbed the camera to take a photo--but then, I also did not like the swivel LCD that most people love).

All that to say, I do love Canon (had a G7 for some time and would've kept it had it not been for some body damage that I decided I couldn't live with). I have already investigated/eliminated the SLR solution FOR ME FOR NOW. I'm a small gal and love to put my camera in my purse most every time I leave the house. I fear an SLR would just mean I would take less pictures.

Anyway, I have been told (now!- after the fact- but it's not too late to exchange it) that the ZS7 is not the best for low-light or indoor photography (though I love the zoom). I do take some outdoor photos, but mainly I take pictures indoors.

Bottom line, am looking for a recommendation for a Canon point-and-shoot that excels in indoor photographs, price not the main issue. Really, don't care as much about any other feature, zoom or HD movies or anything else, as QUALITY INDOOR PHOTOS.

Thanks,
Barbara
bkford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:34 AM   #2

Barbara-

I would suggest that you purchase a used G-9 model. It does not have the swivel LCD that you dislike. But it does have a nice hat shoe and can be purchased for around $250.00, you see them on E-Bay all the time.

On that hot shoe I would mount a Canon EX-270 flash and you have just about the ideal P+S Flash camera set-up.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:51 AM   #3

Oh, my. This seems to indicate that there is no NEW Canon point-and-shoot that excels in indoor photos (except maybe the G11, which I eliminated in my original posting).

Does anyone want to weigh in on the Canon S90?
Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:40 AM   #4

Barbara-

I also wrote a long flash technique explanation for you in the Panasonic P+S folder as well. Did you read it?

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 3, 2010, 12:19 PM   #5

Barbara the S90 does well indoors as it has a f/2 lens and the G11 starts at f/2.8 I think, if you are still searching try the FZ35...it does well and for cheap...I think you would be pleasantly surprised at options it has with it and the indoor shots do well up to ISO800...it's flash is strong and it shoots great video...just can't beat it for all around universal camera...lot's of support here at Steve's also for the FZ35
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 4:17 PM   #6

Yes, Sarah, I've been studying all the posts and responses and am learning a lot. Thanks so much.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 4:20 PM   #7

To LTZ470--I am very interested to study more on the camera you are suggesting, the Panasonic FZ35. Though cost is not a real concern for me, sounds like it deserves a look. My primary concern is great indoor photos without adding an external flash or doing a lot of setting every time I want to take a shot. The only thing I'm struggling with on the ZS7 I am trying is the quality of the indoor shots, and that's the main thing I use a camera for. Frustrating.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 4:25 PM   #8

...and let me add that, if it's not obvious enough already, I don't understand all the details of a camera (if I ever grow up and get a DLSR, then I'll be ready to learn). So, in lay terms, can you tell me, for those who do understand the details, if there are features on the FZ35 that would tell you that it takes better quality indoor photos than the ZS7? I'm assuming so, and that is the reason LTZ470 was suggesting it for me. Right? Is that what you mean by the f/2 whatever? That's what tells you it does well indoors, and that feature is better on the FZ35 than on the ZS7? Sorry for the ignorance. While I have a master's degree in elementary education, that doesn't help me one bit in understanding THIS world! So, I'm thankful there are people out there who DO and are willing to share their knowledge and understanding!
Barbara
Old Jul 3, 2010, 4:46 PM   #9

The FZ35 is f/2.8 with a little less pixel density than the ZS7 (f/3.3)...also the Flash on the FZ35 is much better if used...I think the lens is much better on the FZ35 also at higher focal lengths (zoomed)...
Barbara this Comparometer can help you evaluate pictures from different cameras side by side...ISO 400 to ISO 800 for indoor on the smaller cameras are usually their max for good indoor photos...
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 4:49 PM   #10

Barbara-

The Panasonic FZ-35 will do much better with indoor photos because it has a more powerful built-in flash unit. The Flash Range (remember that term?) on the FZ35 is 12 to 13 feet, so as long as you can stay at a distance of 13 feet or less between the FZ-35 and the subject, you will not need an accessory Slave Flash and your photo will be properly exposed.

The Fz-35 also has an EVF (electronic view finder) so you will not have the problem that the ZS-7 presents of having to use the LCD screen to frame your photos in bright sunlight when you can hardly see anything on the LCD due to the glare of the sunshine. You will have real viewfinder on the FZ-35 rather than that LCD on the ZS7.

Sarah Joyce