Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 13, 2003, 7:39 AM   #1

Default Next Model, G-?

Has anybuddy heard rumours of what might be next in the G- series . . . . I have an A-80 for pocket use on motorcycles & pushbike etc, & a G-2 for general use but would like some more zoom.

I've spent MUCH time wading thru reviews of all the longer zoom jobbies like the CP5700, S7000 & Minolta A1 etc, & have come to the (kinda obvious IMHO) conclusion that they all tend to trade-off optical quality for 'feature richness' as a sales lever!

I've finally decided that what I really want/need is just the next G-Series camera, which will hopefully come out with zoom in the (say) 7~10 range, mebbe with that x10 lens that Canon already make for Toshiba in the M700, that would be GREAT!!!
And this also means sticking with a basically familiar menu system in my next camera, the spare G-2 batt will likely fit, as also will my CF cards.

To my mind there are more than enough 'features' in the G-series antway, plus excellent optics, AF assist for good performance in poor light, optical viewfinders, & the flip around screen which I really enjoy in the A80 & G-2, so why go WITHOUT those features but WITH compromised optics in the 'pseudo SLR' digicams, yuk!

So, anybuddy heard any rumours on what's coming out after Xmas?

Cheers
BrooC
:roll:
BrooC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2003, 11:50 PM   #2

but if the next G has a longer zoom, will it have a EVF? The only reason that stopped me from looking at cameras with longer zoom are those hard to see EVF's.

If the next G series has a 5x optical zoom with better wide angle lens, that would be a major boost for Canon.
djbango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:13 AM   #3

I feel the same way about EVF's instead of optical .. . but I am not sufficiently clued-up on camera design to know if/when/why they go to EVF as 'some' zoomsize .. . .. . on another forum someone said that the 10x Canon zoom couldnt be used in a G-type body bevause of the required size of the sensor or processor or somesuch, mebbe that is why the Toshiba M700 with that 10x Canon lense is only a 3.2 mb .. guess there is some size/ratio involved. . dunno. . .

Anyone?

BrooC
BrooC is offline   Reply With Quote