Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 15, 2003, 6:06 PM   #1

Default S400 vs SD10

Could someone help me on the differences between the S400 and the SD10... the pros and cons in relation to eachother? I've never had a digital camera and am kind of confused.

Thanks.
sleeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2003, 11:41 PM   #2

I am debating the same thing. The biggest thing that I can see if that the SD10, in order to be so small, does not have a optical zoom (this is on most modern cameras) but instead has a digital zoom. Many digital cameras have both so you can get all that much more close up. Digital zoom does the zooming digitally but you lose pixels. Not a big deal at 4.0 pixels from my guess. I am not an expert I hope someone else posts that knows more. The SD10 is a lot smaller although they are both small.

Jeff
Hodorsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 1:37 AM   #3

There are some conciderable differences to these cameras.

Shutter speed is one of them, the SD10's fastest speed is 1/1500 of a sec and the S400's is 1/2000th. This means less washed out pictures in high-intensity light (outdoors and whatnot).

The focus is also different. Both cameras feature an AiAF focusing system, which is something that allows you to focus on subjects off-center. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but the SD10 has a 5 point system and the S400 a 9 point system. I'm guessing this allows for a more accurate off-center focus?

The S400 also has an iSAPS deal... I have no idea what it stands for, but it analyzes the scene you're taking a snapshot of and makes readings significantly faster than the other Elphs (it speeds up the auto focus, the white balance, the ISO, etc.), resulting in a quicker photo speed.

The S400 also has a continuous shooting mode, allowing you to take 2 1/2 pictures/second. The SD10 doesn't have this feature.

Furthermore, the S400 has a better movie length time, the SD10 is limited to 60 seconds, but the S400 is limited to 180 seconds.

Also, look at the sample pictures. The SD10 compresses the images much more than the S400. The SD10's file sizes are around .9 to 1.1 MB, and the S400's are around 1.5 to 2.0 MB. The S400's images look much sharper. The image size (MP count) doesn't matter if they come out fuzzy!

Hope this helps,
Johnny
PacificJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 1:35 AM   #4

Johnny,

what a very *helpful* comparison of the S400 and SD10...both at the top of my list. along with (maybe) the Pentax Optio S4.

wish i could find more comparisons as well done.

Karen
Karen 1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 1:18 AM   #5

You're quite welcome for the help!!

The SD10 and S400 were my top to cameras, also. I went for the S400 because the image quality seemed significantly higher, plus I was replacing an S110, and I still had all the accessories for it!

I looked at the Optio S4 too. It's a cute little thing. The uncle of one of my close friends at Pacific has it, and it was ergonomically lacking. The controls were quite awkward. Plus, the WB looked ever so slightly and obnoxiously off. I'm a real stickler for realistic color. However, the thought of pulling an altoids tin out of my pocket and a high quality digital camera out of the tin makes me smile!

Lemme know what you go with!!
That latest minolta release (G400?) also looks tempting... gosh it's fast!
Old Jan 7, 2004, 3:54 AM   #6

Hi Johnny, i've about decided on the S400..mostly cause where i live can't actually see/handle any of them and worry a little about the ultra-compacts. S400 seems to be one of those 'benchmark' cameras that everyone likes. even tho it's not the newest, 'hottest' model, have a feeling it'll hold it's own a long time. like the G3, A70-80, etc.

am new to all of this, but sorta pick up a feeling for what's solid. well that or go blind reading all the stuff

still mulling over printers. want one of the direct camera-to-printer units (4x6 dye-subs) primarily for when i'm traveling. am torn between Canon's CP 200/300 and HiTi's 640ps or Transphotable. the Canons are very light and small, but have no editing. the HiTi's are heavier. the 640ps seems universally beloved, and the Transphotable is *perfect* for vehicular travel and camping. cept it irritates the heck outta me that they put the heavier casing and DC adaptor into the Lower model 630ps (smaller dpi(?), fewer memory matching slots (or whatever they're called).

if any of this interested you before, i welcome your comments.

here's a Question too: when i look online at cameras, even higher rated places like buydig and newegg - still looks like they take the full 'kits' apart, pretend the camera is a lower price, then whack ya with the accessories xtra. Thoughts?

"I looked at the Optio S4 too. It's a cute little thing."

wish i could see it. husb says the specs are close to the S400s..but since we haven't seen it, held it, etc. spent last night looking (again) at the micro-compacts and was turning up all kinds of stuff i'd passed over before. no longer sure the SD10 would be my choice in micros. did you look at any others besides the Optio S4 and Canon SD10?

Karen
Old Jan 7, 2004, 5:57 PM   #7

The only cameras I seriously concidered were the Optio 550, Optio S4, Casio Z4, Minolta G500 and the other cameras already mentioned. They all had something I didn't really like about them that seemed to detract from the images (off-kilter WB, fuzzy images, etc.)

And yes, online dealers make their profits off of the accessories! The accessories that come in the box with the cameras aren't touched (with a respectable vendor, at least!!), but they have links to $100 192MB CF cards (or something along those lines) at the bottom of the order form. Don't bite that bullet!!

Stores that move high volumes of digital cameras at higher-than internet-market-value prices often have cheaper accessories (The Good Guys, Target, Wal-Mart, Fry's, Best Buy, etc.). Although you say you're distanced from being able to see these cameras you're shopping for tangibly, perhaps one of their online stores could help (walmart.com or something).

I never delved into the printer realm. I use an HP 7150, and it works great! It gets gorgeous, crisp images, provided you use high-quality photo paper. The small/portable printers never appealed to me.

Good luck camera hunting!!
Johnny
Old Jan 9, 2004, 12:56 AM   #8

Thanks again Johnny. i'm gonna go S400 with the Canon CP-200 direct printer. any more thinking/reading and my head would explode.

posted some new questions in the Canon forum here, bet you'd know the answers on the Camera part..

best,
Karen