Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:21 AM   #1

Default G9 Battery Error, Overheat

I have a G9, a little over 2 yrs old, with two batteries. On either fully charged battery, the camera shuts off after about 5 minutes and displays "CHANGE THE BATTERY PACK" on the LCD.
I pull the battery and it is quite warm, but the SD card is even warmer. If I stick my finger in the battery cavity of the camera, it is almost too hot to hold it in there. After a little cooldown time, I can stick the battery and card back in, and take pictures for another five minutes. The battery indicator indicates the battery is fully charged this whole time. Come to think of it, one of my SD cards failed a short while ago, possibly from overheating, or maybe it caused this problem?
I've only seen one similar post on another site. The person bought a new battery and still had the problem. I'd rather not invest in a new battery to test this. It seems unlikely that both my batteries would fail and the exact same time.
Has anyone experienced this problem and know what the cause is?
gdefasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Administrator

Are these Canon batteries or some kind of third party batteries?

Have you tried it without a memory card in it to see if the same symptoms occur?

Although very rare, I have seen memory cards shorted in a way that caused problems.

The first card failure may have been unrelated to the current problem if you didn't notice any heat at that time.

If it exhibits the same symptoms with a known good battery and a different memory card (or without a memory card), it sounds like it's probably got a serious component problem and it's time to send it back to Canon for repair or buy another camera.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:44 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply. I am using two Canon NB-2LH batteries, bought new with the camera in May 2007. The camera has worked great, until this battery problem started. It still takes good pictures, but shuts itself off with the battery error after about five minutes.
I just tried it without the SD card. It lasted a little longer, gave warning (blinking battery icon versus full icon and no warning last time), then shut off with the same message. I'll charge the batteries for the day and try again tonight.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:37 PM   #4

Well, I charged both batteries. For each of them, with no SD card in, the camera shuts down with the same message after about five minutes. Later, if I put either battery back in, the camera says it's fully charged, but shuts down after five minutes. It's uncomfortably warm in the camera's battery cavity, warmer than the battery itself.
In the previous case, when I had the SD card in, the card was also warmer than the battery, and the camera is warmer on the SD side of the cavity than the other side.
Having the same problem with no SD card this time, the problem seems narrowed down to the camera??? I don't see how two coincidentally bad batteries would cause a camera to heat up without producing the heat themselves. But I'm no expert. The battery and SD cavities are clean.
And I'm starting to think that the overheating camera fried my prior SD card, or the SD card fried my camera.
Any other thoughts or remedies?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:17 AM   #5
Administrator

I'd assume that you need to have it repaired or replaced.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:10 AM   #6

Default Thanks

Thanks again. I was hoping, in a way, that this was a common problem with a common answer. We've been eying the T1i/T2i's, but thought our G9 should last us more than two years. I guess I'd rather take the plunge than invest more time and money into the G9. Thank you for your feedback.