Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:00 PM   #11

picsgalore-

The SX-130 arrived via UPS this afternoon right on schedule. The camera is not as large as some have though as you can see in the first photo.

Photo#1 (please click on the links):

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...8_K7YuX-X3.jpg

Photo #2: Using the SX-130's built-in flash unit

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...3_jLWja-X3.jpg

I own the SX-100, and the SX-110, and yes, the shot to shot times have improved, and the new lens is very sharp and covers 28 to336mm, in 35 mm terms. All in all it looks to be a very good family camera.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 8, 2010 at 8:10 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:53 PM   #12

mtclimber,

That was great. Real good pictures and sharp. Nice to measure to dollar bill! I am looking for a good pocket p&s to always carry. My Sony H5 is not always one I want to carry around. Knowing your previous postings, they were straight from the camera. Think I'll see if I can find at BestBuy or some other store close to my town.

Really appreciate your posts and thank you very much.

Pics.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 8:36 PM   #13

Default looking for info

Hi,
I couldn't find any serious review about the SX130 can you point me to one ?
Otherwise - if any of you had time to play around with it , maybe he/she can share his/her opinion about this camera.
Mostly I wonder how good is the IQ comparing to the SX210 or the Sony HX5V or any other similar camera? how good are the HD movies ?
I also wonder how much time does it take between 2 pics ?
Can it really be useful as a pocket cam or is it too big for that ?
Actually , any info/insights regarding this model will be great !

Thanks
akalithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:01 PM   #14

akalithium-

I purchased the SX-210 and returned it. The SX-130 is a "keeper." I have had the camera for just 2 days. Thus far, I see the SX-130 as an improvement on the SX-120, with the addition of adding the 28mm wide angle. I also owned and returned the Sony HX5. The SX-130 easily solves the poor video sound problems of the HX5, and the fact that the HX-5 suffered a distressing loss of color saturation as the ISO setting was increased.

I find the shot to shot time very acceptable. However, you must keep in mind the as the SX-130 is AA battery powered, that time might become variable as the batteries become discharged. I have used Sanyo Eneloop batteries and had no problem with shot to shot times at all.

The SX-130 will easily go into a jacket or coat pocket, but it is not going to fit well into the front pocket of a pair of jeans. The image quality of the SX-130 is measurably better than either the SX-210 or the HX-5. I have not managed to shoot any video as yet.

To get a better idea of camera size, please just click on the link posted below:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...8_K7YuX-X3.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:27 PM   #15

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for the quick reply :-)
It is true that the SX130 isn't very big, but it is considerably larger then the HX5V or other more compact super zoom cams( it seems to be in the size of the G11).
I also noticed that aperture is now 3.4 compared to 2.8 in the SX120 - do you notice this in your pics?
What would you say are the flaws of the SX130?

One last thing (maybe this thread is not the place for this) - searching HX5V in here sent me to a thread where it seemed you like the HX5V ,what changed your mind about it?

I hope I am not asking too many questions, its just that there is very limited info regarding this cam atm.
akalithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:22 PM   #16

I returned the Sony HX5 because the video sound was quite poor, and because as the ISO increased, the color saturation literally began to bleach out. The result was poor image quality.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:39 PM   #17

Sarah,

Is it true that you have to force the flash to pop up on the SX130? It does not pop up automatically correct? I read that an icon pops up telling you to manually pop the flash.
ceobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 4:19 PM   #18

I have an SX130 and yes, you have to manually lift up the flash.
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 4:40 PM   #19

That is not a big problem currently i have FZ 38 and it is same like sx130 you need to push a button to open up flash. It wouldn't prevent you to got good shots
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:32 PM   #20

Default Battery life?

Hello!

I watched a brief youtube-review about the SX130IS and the dude in the video gave a "warning" about the battery life. Is this true? Is the battery life that short on the SX130IS?

Looks like a real bargain to me that cam, looks awesome for that price!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jrOvZJe9lA

Regards from Sweden!
/Steffo
steffo74 is offline   Reply With Quote