Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:35 PM   #11

I figured they'd release the SX30 shortly before photokina this year. It looks like Canon has HS10 users drooling, with 35x zoom vs HS10's 30x zoom, and ETTL II hotshoe vs. Manual hotshoe. I can't wait for this to hit my local walmart, so I can play with that lens! I was planning to get one of these when it came out, but I've since decided that my next camera should be a DSLR.

I wonder how the SX30 compares to the HS10 in image quality...

Last edited by jWest; Sep 14, 2010 at 5:37 PM.
jWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:07 PM   #12

Been waiting for the SX30, now I may buy a Sx20.

From what I've read same sensor as sx20, changed batteries (bad idea IMNSHO),
more zoom (don't need), same HD movie mode (bummer), not what I expected
and I will never buy one.

James
jcotton55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:37 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Thing I don't understand is what exactly people are taking photos of that they need a 35x zoom.

For sports and wildlife you use DSLR right?

For just about everything else can't you just walk a bit closer?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:51 AM   #14

Canon just added the SX30 IS to their site, complete with sample photo. I have to say, the color representation is very good, and it looks like it will make good 4x6 prints. However, get in closer, and it can't possibly be construed as sharp, and chromatic aberration and luminance noise abounds. I don't mind luminance noise half so much as chroma noise, but it still adds to the overall fuzzyness, and detracts from all-in-all quality.

It does have some fascinating new features though - what particularly caught my attention is Zoom Framing Assist. Hold the button, and it zooms out far enough to actually locate your target, lock in, and then release the button and it zooms back in. Having tried to locate targets with 25x binoculars, I see this feature being particularly useful.

Another thing I noticed is that they added Servo AF - this will definitely attract parents of young kids, and may tip the balance towards the SX30 often.

All in all, I think Canon has caught up in the superzoom market, and I'd take the SX30 IS over the Fuji HS10 or Panasonic Z40 any day.
jWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:46 PM   #15

Holy crap this is MADNESS! 35x zoom!? you cannot be serious!!! I LOve IT!
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:58 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Thing I don't understand is what exactly people are taking photos of that they need a 35x zoom.

For sports and wildlife you use DSLR right?

For just about everything else can't you just walk a bit closer?
LOL, that's the logical, photographic quality answer, but man, you know I love gadgets and convenience when the best quality isn't needed but a small package is then this should be fun.

Have you noticed that pretty much the MP race has slowed down, now it is the M-Zoom race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWest View Post
Canon just added the SX30 IS to their site, complete with sample photo. I have to say, the color representation is very good, and it looks like it will make good 4x6 prints. However, get in closer, and it can't possibly be construed as sharp, and chromatic aberration and luminance noise abounds. I don't mind luminance noise half so much as chroma noise, but it still adds to the overall fuzzyness, and detracts from all-in-all quality.

It does have some fascinating new features though - what particularly caught my attention is Zoom Framing Assist. Hold the button, and it zooms out far enough to actually locate your target, lock in, and then release the button and it zooms back in. Having tried to locate targets with 25x binoculars, I see this feature being particularly useful.

Another thing I noticed is that they added Servo AF - this will definitely attract parents of young kids, and may tip the balance towards the SX30 often.

All in all, I think Canon has caught up in the superzoom market, and I'd take the SX30 IS over the Fuji HS10 or Panasonic Z40 any day.
I wouldn't get too excited until we see the real results, sure the specs look good but I wouldn't discount the competition at all.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Have you noticed that pretty much the MP race has slowed down, now it is the M-Zoom race?
Precisely! It's all marketing. You need a simple metric the general consumer can lock onto to judge how good the camera is. It has nothing to do with how good it actually is - it's all about the perception.

As to Peripatetic's other question about sports - unfortunately no, quite a few people do NOT want to buy DSLRs to shoot sports. Two of the women I work with have daughters that are competitive swimmers. They both love to take photos of them but don't want the cost/bulk associated with DSLRs. They want superzooms and the more zoom the better. The common mom & dad is not a photographer but they want to take pictures - from the stands preferably. They want to sit in the stands and be able to shoot their kid anywhere on the field/pool/floor whatever. To them it's about being able to take a picture as conveniently as possible and within their budget. Spending $3000 on a DSLR and lens really isn't in their budget plans. And, remember, it's all about convenience - who wants to stand down on the deck/floor/field - it's much more comfortable in the stands
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:27 PM   #18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak04O3FHJYI
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 3:52 AM   #19

I think i now made idiotic title with "woooow", nothing like that other than long zoom.
rockdhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:15 AM   #20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdhero View Post
I think i now made idiotic title with "woooow", nothing like that other than long zoom.
LOL, it's an exciting looking feature, but quality will be the key thing, when we really get to see how it works then the woooow might really have been worth it