Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:15 PM   #31

Peripatetic wrote:

Thing I don't understand is what exactly people are taking photos of that they need a 35x zoom. For sports and wildlife you use DSLR right?

For just about everything else can't you just walk a bit closer.

Well I can imagine the Nascar attendees in the U.S. will get a huge benefit while sitting in the stands in the inexpensive seats. And how about those who photograph planes at airshows while the planes are performing. That lens will definitely be a plus.

I still haven't purchased a digital Dslr as of yet but I'm leaning heavily towards the Canon 60D with the Tamron 28-270 (15x). I Don't know if that lens will be a mistake but for $600 it should amount to something right. Comment please on that lens.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 2:36 AM   #32
Super Moderator

Fair enough. I mean who the heck am I to say what people should be happy taking photos of.

So yes of course, any kind of spectator event where you simply cannot get close and want some snaps. But without the right access you have to maintain very low expectations and standards.

I'd put airshows in the same category as Sports/Wildlife - use a DSLR if you can, and adjust your expectations downward if you can't. But still the 840mm equivalent and IS and USM should be pretty useful there.

The only thing that the Tamron does right is have a big zoom range. You have to understand that the bigger the zoom range, the worse the image quality of the lens. I would actually probably rather use the SX30 than a 60D with 18-270. I think you'd often get better pictures from the P&S.

SLR cameras have interchangeable lenses. Why buy the Tamron 18-270 when for less money you can get a two lens kit 18-55 IS + 55-250 IS which gives hugely better image quality? The only reason is if for some reason you really really need to be able to cover that full range and don't have time to switch lenses.

Last edited by peripatetic; Sep 24, 2010 at 2:39 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 8:05 PM   #33

Peripatetic says,
''I would actually probably rather use the SX30 than a 60D with 18-270. I think you'd often get better pictures from the P&S.''

That's interesting.

''Why buy the Tamron 18-270 when for less money you can get a two lens kit 18-55 IS + 55-250 IS which gives hugely better image quality?''

I just now did some checking on those two lenses you mentioned and other than some issues with the manual focus ring on the 18-55is the lens is recommended. It seems you're right on the optical quality.

Now, as you are aware the 60D comes with a 18-135is. My shooting requirements actually fit the bill you gave in spite of my Nascar and airshow comments. But what about the kit lens with the 60D? Would you forego the other two and keep the 18-135is?

I haven't had the time to check what the price will be for the two lenses mentioned. I believe the 60D is $1400 U.S. with the kit lens.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:34 AM   #34
Super Moderator

The 18-135 is fairly nasty. I would avoid it if you can.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 6:00 PM   #35

Thanks for the headsup Peripatetic.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:13 PM   #36

DSLRs are too price prohibitive for your average user wanting to do wildlife photography....... $500 vs $1200 + superzoom @ another $600-1000? If u r big into photography then sure DSLR all the way........ but most people can't justify an extra $1000+ for a few photos
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 3:41 AM   #37
Super Moderator

Well that's fine of course, but they need to have realistic expectations about what is possible with a P&S camera.

Wildlife photography is much easier with expensive gear, and serious wildlife photographers often spend $10,000 on a single lens.

But even with the most expensive equipment there is no guarantee that your pictures will be any good.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:42 PM   #38

If Pentax does not drop the price of the new K-5 down to $1,199 when it comes out like the new Nikon D7000 I will get this to play around with. I like the CCD to use on my Kawasaki ZX-11 since my CMOS K-7 shows the jello effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cI2cj-CtC8

Here is someone else testing CCD vs CMOS on another ZX-11:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEaDrS-yzIE

Update: I ordered the SX30 and I should have it next week.

SX30 IS @ full 35x zoom (840mm ,35mm eqiv):

Last edited by jogiba; Oct 1, 2010 at 3:04 PM.
jogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:44 PM   #39

Another website is putting the SX30is and the Panasonic FZ100 and on occasion the HS10 in a side by side photo and crop comparison and the Canon is leading the pack in detail so far. I think a lot of people are surprised thus far considering the massive zoom on the SX30.

But I sure do like that 60D Peripatetic. That rascal sure fit my hands right nice like.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:45 AM   #40

Anyone got it ?
sairanjank is offline   Reply With Quote