Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:17 PM   #51

Thanks Oracle! Now if I could just learn all the bells, whistles, settings and remember how to quickly move between them all! I seem to have trouble utilizing the macro focus but I'm sure I'll figure it out.
spammie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:53 AM   #52

Default manual focus???

Hi....I am new to this forum...I am a new user of the sx30....I just got it 3 weeks ago..the features states that it has manual focus...when I think of manual focus I think of rotating the lens, not so on the sx30...so the manual focus is is rotating the zoom lever...I am having a problem between auto and manual and I do not see much difference between the 2.....what should the menu settings be for the auto/manual focus...I am not sure which on should be on or off...can someone clear this up for me
Kas
Kaschiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:26 AM   #53
Super Moderator

Welcome to Steve's. Page 89 of the manaul http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/5/030000...0IS_CUG_EN.pdf should do it
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:04 AM   #54

Mark,
Thanks for the input.....as far as the menu settings once I set them, I should leave them alone....what should the optimum settings for the AF be???
Kas
Kaschiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:34 AM   #55
Super Moderator

If you want to get the best out of a camera then probably you will want to change settings for each situation, lighting condition etc. There isn't a one option fits all..... well apart from sticking everything on Auto and relying on the camera. With that method you will do OK quite a lot of the time, but to get the best out of it you will want to make some changes as and when needed. I would suggest working on one aspect of photography at a time if you really want to learn as that forces you to really think about what you are doing.

I know that not everyone wants to spend lots of time learning so the Auto, P and scene modes will be a good starting point.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:48 PM   #56

I bought my daughter one for last Xmas and she loves it. From portaits to landscapes she does quite well with it. I've posted these before on the travel section but people here may want to see what it can do.
First is from her trip to Egypt with her family. She loved Egypt even in the middle of their "Change of Government" they looked after them and loved the kids.
https://picasaweb.google.com/CamanoR...42504723026818

Second is from a trip she made to a porcelain factory in Jindezhen China.
https://picasaweb.google.com/CamanoR...29992990851490
They both work as School teachers in Shanghai.

It does get a little noisy in low light.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:14 AM   #57
Super Moderator

A brave time to visit Egypt, I wouldn't have really fancied it at that point, even though my in-laws are Egyptian and I lived there for a year. However, looks like they were more in the tourist areas which were much quieter, Cairo wasn't really a place to be a lot of the time.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:37 PM   #58

Definitely tourist areas Mark. You can see that there weren't the usual crowds. so they had some good one on one guiding.
Elih, the little guy, had read up a lot before he went and had lots of questions for the guides, one, a full professor answered him seriously.
Talia took a fall in one spot and two of the workers on site helped her up and made her feel better. Jenny and David were really pleased with their whole experience there.

Last edited by Scouse; Oct 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:42 PM   #59
Super Moderator

That's cool, nice to hear some good press about Egypt
Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:28 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
That's cool, nice to hear some good press about Egypt
Hey, I've always got on well with Egyptians. Years ago we met a couple while on vacation and got on well. They from Montreal and us from LA at the time. A year or so later we took a trip to Montreal and I thought I'd try calling them from the hotel. Well, he rolled up, steamrolled the desk staff, checked us out and had us in their guest room with a drink in hand before we knew what hit us. Spent a few fun filled days getting chauffeured around.
Alway have good press for Egg whipped people...