Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:12 AM   #1

Default Canon G12 is announced

The finally announced the G12

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum.../powershot_g12
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I'm pleased they kept using a sensible MP count and the low ISO samples look very good. Waiting to see what it can do at the higher end.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:21 PM   #3

I don't know...those sample pix (model and parrot) didn't look impressive to me. Possibly there were other sample pix in the article, that I haven't seen yet.

Don't get me wrong I really like the G series and I'm eagerly anticipating a full test on the new G12.

I realize the G series has a small sensor, but when a small camera is close to the price of an entry DSLR (I know larger sensor) my expectations are correspondingly high.

I have been following the G series with great interest as it would be a very good carry around.

I will be interested in seeing a comparison test between the Nikon 7000 and Canon G12.....and even though it's in a different class...the rangefinder style, Olympus with interchangeable lenses. Can't think of the name.

I haven't done a side by side to see the diff in physical size....but with Sony and Olympus downsizing camera bodies ...the future for small cameras looks interesting.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:18 PM   #4

what are these cameras for? Nikon p7000 and g12
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:31 PM   #5

The olympus models in the same price range is the m4/3 epl-1 with the interchangeable lens. It does have high IQ then the currently G11 and much better iso performance at 1600iso. The sony nex 3 is in the same price range also. So the p7000 and G12 have some serious challengers in the same price point. But they are slightly smaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I don't know...those sample pix (model and parrot) didn't look impressive to me. Possibly there were other sample pix in the article, that I haven't seen yet.

Don't get me wrong I really like the G series and I'm eagerly anticipating a full test on the new G12.

I realize the G series has a small sensor, but when a small camera is close to the price of an entry DSLR (I know larger sensor) my expectations are correspondingly high.

I have been following the G series with great interest as it would be a very good carry around.

I will be interested in seeing a comparison test between the Nikon 7000 and Canon G12.....and even though it's in a different class...the rangefinder style, Olympus with interchangeable lenses. Can't think of the name.

I haven't done a side by side to see the diff in physical size....but with Sony and Olympus downsizing camera bodies ...the future for small cameras looks interesting.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by idenny View Post
what are these cameras for? Nikon p7000 and g12
for shooting pics of reasonable quality, when you want most of the DSLR's controls and options, but don't really want to lag a DSLR kit
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by algold View Post
for shooting pics of reasonable quality, when you want most of the DSLR's controls and options, but don't really want to lag a DSLR kit
i see.. it's like having mini dslr
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by idenny View Post
i see.. it's like having mini dslr
more like having a digital rangefinder, but they are not RF, just RF styling, and they do have a zoom lens (not interchangeable though).
algold is offline   Reply With Quote