Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 18, 2003, 8:59 PM   #1

Default Coke + Canon doesn't mix.

I was out last weekend with my brother and friends when in hijinx coca-cola got splashed over my camera. I used my t-shirt to wipe most of it off, and when I had dried most of it off I took a few experimental pictures. However I left it most of the week due to work and stuff so I came to take the camera out and it turns out the coke has dried into sticky puddles in nooks and crannies of the camera. I removed most of these with a cotton bud and clean-and-clear.

The only bit that I can't get clean is the lens and lens cover. The lens cover sticks when open/closing, which has seeming got worse since I cleaned the covers. I haven't been too rough with the cover - I used only the gentlest wipes because I knew it would damage easily.

Any ideas on fixing it and what should I use to get a spotless lens again?
Mournblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:36 PM   #2

Oh man that is nasty, I got some coke in my laptop keyboard and it never worked right since.

I'd worry that anything that could disolve the coke might also damage the lense coatings. Also the sugar in the coke might cause mold/fungus to start to grow on the lense and that can eat right into the glass.

(OK so I'm paranoid ) You did not say what the camera was but if it is on the expensive side I'd be trying to get it cleaned and serviced by Canon.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 5:56 AM   #3

It's a Canon A60. Is there professional lense cleaner? And if so how much is it? Is there any substitiute that is just as good?

Fortunately the camera is pretty resilient - it seems most just ran off the casing and down my top. The lens cover sticks while opening.

How much will professional servicing cost by Canon. Does being under warrenty cover having spilt coke on it, and do you need a warrenty card?
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:08 AM   #4

That may depend on who you get, I've had a camera cleaned and looked at for 30$ and no bother with warrantie stuff. And at the same place I've been dirven nuts with filling out forms and providing proof of everything. I suspect it is sometimes just the mood of the person you talk to.
You should be able to find either a real Canon service center or an Canon auhorized service center in your area, there is usally a packin with the camera listing all the repair shops or try their web site.
I've found the Canon's web site customer service very responsive, usually get an answer within a half day.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 7:33 AM   #5

Quote:
there is usally a packin with the camera listing all the repair shops
There's another thread started by me about the rigmorale I went through to get this camera, and the balls up that has gone with it.

I will look at their (Canon) website. Thanks for the advice. As for a Canon authorised dealer, the only two shops that sell cameras are chains and the workers are only interested in the sell and the commission that goes with it.

[OT] - Currently trying to find a decent spam guardian. I currently use SpamNet which misses ~60 a day (out of ~250). So I tried out SpamAssassin. Goodbye all emails from forums, mailing lists and online magazines:-( So I'm currently trying to ressurrect my inbox. Note to self: Back up mail before attempting anything silly like that next time.