Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

View Poll Results: Would you pay an extra $100 if SX30 had the Rebel T1i sensor?
For faster frame rates (up to 4 to 6 fps)? 0 0%
1080p video, instead of just 720p? 1 50.00%
Higher ISO sensitivity to 6400 (w/lower noise)? 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:46 PM   #1

Default SX30 ALL Looks & Lens

The Canon SX30IS has 35X Zoom, 4.5 stop IS, and that's about it. Not sure how quick the AF is, but it appears to be very slow, boasting a 0.6fps continuous rate. 720p is OK, but with a huge lens like that for video, 1080p should be available. ISO of 3200-6400 would be nice (for special grainy effects as well as an emergency in super low light).
It will be interesting to compare it to the Panasonic FZ100 and the Fuji HS10.
Lastly, they keep talking about small 1/2.3 CCD & CMOS sensors with too many pixels. The SX30 body is so large, they could easily fit the EOS Rebel Ti1 15MPCMOS sensor in there. Then you have the 1080, the low light, etc. and they could easily get $599 (vs $429) I'd buy one!
mmayer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:57 PM   #2
Super Moderator

do you know how big the lens would have to be then... think RPG
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
do you know how big the lens would have to be then... think RPG
True. But a reduced long of say 600mm from 840mm might be do-able.
And the Image quality way, way better!
mmayer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:54 PM   #4

A 24mm to 840mm (35mm eqiv) F2.7-5.8 power zoom lens for a Canon DSLR would cost at least $50,000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEvF1gY3dj8
jogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 7:48 AM   #5

Usually camera manufacturers put their best sensors in their highest priced cameras.

Over time, the quality "trickles down" to the lower level, less expensive cameras.

It wasn't so long ago (2002) that 6 megapixel DSLR-like camera with a 5x zoom would have set you back $500-600 dollars. Now I'm seeing similar quality in $200-300 cams.

Cameras like the Canon T2i for $850 were "unthinkable" six or seven years ago. You'd probably have to pay $3,000 for that level of camera waaay back then.

So think of how lucky you are. When I started out in digital photography (around 2001), it was all shutter lag, poor low light photography, very few pixels to work with, and high costs unless you could afford a high end $3,000 plus camera.

Now, anybody can buy a low end, entry level $500 DSLR and if they know what they're doing, produce very good professional results.

My feeling is that in the next five to ten years, you'll be able to buy unbelievable quality cameras (far better than 35mm film) for a song. The only thing that hasn't gotten cheaper is high quality lenses. In fact, they seem to have gone up in price.
TerryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:30 PM   #6

I have a DSLR and a Canon SD700. I recently purchased the SX30 and am surprised how happy I am with it in most respects. I find the focusing and the zoom to be pretty fast. Comparing it to my SD700 the shot to shot lag is pretty quick IMHO! Even at full zoom and with flash. The outdoor shots are wonderful. The color is basically the same as the SD700 but the SX30 has more detail and definition which I love. The zoom is very sharp even at 140x. The IS is amazing. I've taken hand held flash shots indoors at 1/15 second with no camera shake.

The issues I have with this camera are indoor flash shots. Very bad noise which can be controlled using Shutter Priority and ISO100. But the flash is very weak and the colors are dull. If you are willing to use an external flash that might take care of these issues. Overall, I do love this camera. I would encourage anyone that to try it (from a vendor that allows returns!) Just not sure if I can live with the indoor flash/exposure issues or want to use an external flash.
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmayer54 View Post
Lastly, they keep talking about small 1/2.3 CCD & CMOS sensors with too many pixels. The SX30 body is so large, they could easily fit the EOS Rebel Ti1 15MPCMOS sensor in there. Then you have the 1080, the low light, etc. and they could easily get $599 (vs $429) I'd buy one!
If you used that sensor in this camera than you would have to use a lens similar to this to get the equivelent of 800mm...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/sigma/200-500mm.htm

That lens is $25,000 just by itself... The only way to get the zoom capabilities that these kind of cameras have, at the price they charge, is to use the pinhead sensor that they use...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote