Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:35 AM   #1

Default SX 130 focus problem

I've had my sx130 for a few days.

Most photos are great - flowers, spiders, landscape

When it comes to people I'm not satisfied. Using AUTO setting the focus is soft, even when it finds a face. I've had my hubby sit on the hearth where we take family group photos to see how I like the photos. If I'm standing and therefore pointing slightly down but can see in the lcd finder very well, the photo looks distorted. If i lower the camera I can't see what I'm taking a photo of very well.
So I tried sitting down and that improved . But there might not always be a seat available and I cannot squat down.
The end result is not crisp - flash on or flash off.
I even zoomed in on his face and still see softness.

Any suggestions?

BTW when holding the camera it is very important not to put your left finger over the lamp(?) on the top of the left front. (This is a place where my finger wants to go.)
texasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2010, 1:32 PM   #2

Default sx130 focus cont'd

I forgot to mention the photos of hubby appear distorted. He even commented about it. The middle third appears larger so head and feet are disproportionally smaller.

The auto selection chose portrait and it was impressive to see it select his face. THe result was disappointing.

I wish I did not have to turn on my computer to read the manual every time. I'm just not ready to print 100+ pages till I'm sure I'm keeping the camera.

I'm going to find the page that tells me how to return to factory settings.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:45 AM   #3

texasmom-

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your SX-130. A few things to keep in mind please: (1) when the camera to subject distance is less than 34 inches, the camera should be switched over to the macro or Close-up Mode to get a sharp photo. (2) The "reset all" menu selection is at the very end of the Set-up Menu ( it uses the tools icon).

The distortion you speak of would be enough for me to exchange the camera for a different SX-130. You may indeed have received a defective camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
texasmom-

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your SX-130. A few things to keep in mind please: (1) when the camera to subject distance is less than 34 inches, the camera should be switched over to the macro or Close-up Mode to get a sharp photo. (2) The "reset all" menu selection is at the very end of the Set-up Menu ( it uses the tools icon).

The distortion you speak of would be enough for me to exchange the camera for a different SX-130. You may indeed have received a defective camera.

Sarah Joyce
Isn't there some mode that does exactly what is decribed - some "fish bowl" mode?.....
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:39 AM   #5

Yes, and that fish eye mode is one of the scene modes. If you are indicating that the SX-130 camera is stuck in that particular Scene Mode, my suggestion is that you do a camera wide reset, which is the last item on the Tools Menu.

That will restore the camera to it Factory Defaults. It would probably be wise to exchange that camera, as you do not want to find yourself once again in the same situation.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 7:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmom View Post
When it comes to people I'm not satisfied. Using AUTO setting the focus is soft, even when it finds a face.
If the Auto mode is selecting the Portrait scene mode this would cause your soft focus problem because the Portrait scene mode softens the images deliberately to give the appearance of smoother skin.
Please try switching the camera to Av mode on the mode dial and changing to a wide aperture setting by rotating the wheel on the back of the camera anti-clockwise so it displays a low F number on your LCD screen. This should give you a nice sharp shot of you subject's face with a slightly blurred background.

Last edited by arrowhead; Oct 2, 2010 at 8:07 PM.
arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:07 PM   #7

WIsh I had seen the last post about the Av setting and F number before I returned the camera.

I did reset the camera to the factory settings and took some more candid photos on the auto setting and the P setting. Results were not good.

I had 2 problems with the camera - my lack of satisfaction with people photos and the discomfort I felt holding the camera.

I returned it.

The end.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:02 PM   #8

The distortion sounds like normal wide-angle distortion. It's why portrait photographers do not use wide-angle lenses. If you take close-ups with a wide-angle lens (or a point-and-shoot at it's wide end), there will be distortion like you described, and it's particularly visible in portraits. With your next camera, try moving farther away and zooming in.
jWest is offline   Reply With Quote