Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 20, 2003, 1:57 PM   #1

Default hi tealblue i need your advise

i understand from your profle that you Canon A80 ann coolpix 3700,
i m going to buy 1st digicam on monday,i chosing in between Canon A70 and coolpix 3700,which one can produce more nicer image and also have a better macro focus?

thank you very much
thaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2003, 7:40 PM   #2

To Thaim. Hi i hope i can be of some help? I just did my test of these two units,they were done on tripod and half on full auto and half on manual.(note the a80 has a little more manual than the 3700) This test was done with 100 pix taken. #1 nikon is the KING of macro,there is none better than the coolpix seris for macro.The a80 did well but its just not 100% like the nikon. #2 The nikon is smaller than the a80 and very flat!! Its a great shirt pocket size.The a80 has a little more bulk and some extra weight from the aa battery(4) of them. #3 my image test was just about even but i must say the A80 is a little better.Canon gave the a80 a lot of things from the G group of cameras (G2.G3,and some say the G5) I think the 3700 was new from the ground up,but iam told it got help from the 3100 camera. #4 The auto focus light(orange) in the 3700 is a great help to this coolpix and even better than the one in the a80.#5 I dont do a lot of movie stuff with my cameras but i did a little in each for my test and the 3700 was Very sharp! and i feel that the a80 was a little bit on the grainy side. PLEASE!! remember that this just what i think and iam SURE that there are people out there that will say that he doesnt know what he is talking about!! thats ok my wife tells me that all the time LOL. Teal blue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:58 PM   #3

Default thank you very much

hi teal blue
thank you for your reply,correct me if i am wrong...i feel that you prefer nikon 3700 than A80,am i rite?
Old Dec 21, 2003, 2:45 PM   #4

To Thaim. I like the 3700 better for macro work over the a80.I think the a80 has a little edge over the nikon in the general image area.The a80 has a better manual setting than the 3700,thats why i think it has a edge over the 3700.Tealblue
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:29 PM   #5

Default hi tealblue thank for being kind to reply me

hi tealblue thank for being kind to reply,but last question,does the manual setting is so important,what is the purpose?
thank you very much
Old Dec 22, 2003, 8:07 AM   #6

To Thaim. The main reason for manual settings are so you can CHANGE what the factory has preset in your camera for the auto setting.All cameras have what i will call an average setting set up in there auto mode.Nikon will use one kind of setup in the coolpix line,Canon will use what they think is the best set up for the Everyday user in his/her normal point and shoot kind of picture. If you will notice that cameras now are having a setting mode in them that you can use for a sunnyday/night time/sports/land scape/macro and many more. This special mode or setting is made to set up your camera for that special kind of picture.I will call this a special kind of auto. Now the camera cant always tell what is just the wright kind of light you need or shutter speed,or how much contrast you will or wont want . And if you want the color darker or lighter or other changes made you can do this in the manual setting.This WILL take a little time to learn but its what makes a good picture a GREAT one.Also you will learn that a manual focus will many times be better than the auto focus. I hope this is some help.Please note!!! this what i think. Tealblue
Old Dec 24, 2003, 12:07 PM   #7
TAN

Default thank you very much

To tealblue
Thank you very much,this friday i going to buy my 1st digicam(Canon A80)for singapore dollar $650.

Merry Xmas and happy new year to You
TAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 8:22 PM   #8

TO TAN. You are very welcome!!!!! Please let me know how things turn out with the new cam.Tealblue
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:43 AM   #9

Default hi teal blue i bought my 1st digicam but

1)the pic i take always very bright
2)how to compress the image

thank you verymuch
thiam73 is offline   Reply With Quote