Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 20, 2003, 5:45 PM   #1

Default EDIT: --A80 Red Eye --Vs Olympus C4000z

I posted a topic on the General Q&A forum that is related
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=18302

I recently bought an A80 and like the camera except for the horrible red eye issue. I'm aware of what cause it and understand it goes with the compact camera design. However, I didn't have this problem with my A50 which has the same layout as the A80 (weaker flash maybe is the difference).

I can not take an indoor flash shot with this camera without every eye in the room being red. It doesn't matter where they are looking or how far away they are. Its very frustrating. A friend with an A70 has the same complaint about his. i've tried every setting possible, but nothing fixes it.

The only way I can take a flash shot it to be about 3 feet from the subject, which is not always possible. Kids birthday parties and such do not work that way. I dont want to fix 5 sets of eyes in photoshop for each shot either.

I have another friend that has a Canon S100. TINY little camera. He doesn't have any red eye issue. This camera has the flash closer to the lens than the A80, but somehow does not suffer with the horrid red eye issue I have. He takes the same types of shots that I do, and no problems at all.

This brings me to the S400 and why I need a quick answer, I have only a couple of days left to exchange the camera. The red eye issue is bad enough that I need to do something. Only being able to shoot with a flash from 3 feet way does not work for me.

DCRP had this to say about the S400:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...t_s400-review/
Quote:
I was so surprised with the results of the redeye test that I went back an hour later and repeated the test. And I got the same result -- no major redeye. I was shocked that it wasn't horrible, as is usually the case with these micro cameras
I know the S400 would not be red eye free, but I'm hoping it would be at least usable unlike the A80.

I dont want to get into a larger camera. The A70/80 size or smaller is what I like. I can give up the extra features that the A80 has over the S400 if I can get better red eye reduction.

Does anyone have any experience with the S400 or even better, have compared both in respect to red eye performance?

Is there another camera I should also be looking at?
Thanks![/u]
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2003, 6:52 PM   #2

I have the same camera and I don't have any red-eye issues. I am assuming that you do have red eye reduction turned on. If so, your camera may be defective...
BlueOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 7:46 PM   #3

Red eye is on. I can take a picture with 5 people in a room all looking different directions and have 10 red eyes. My bud with an A70 has the exact same issue. Lots of other people I've seen on the net report the same. It does not seem at all limited to my camera. I wish it were that simple.

Unless I am very close to the subject. i will absolutely have red eye on any person I shoot. With my 6 year old little girl, its terrible. Red eye 100 % of the time unless I'm in close about 3 feet away.

i've tried turning down the flash strength, messing with ISO speeds, etc. Nothing helps.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 7:15 AM   #4

I have the A70 and do get red eyes sometimes, but it's not bad at all - in fact, it's much better than with my old PentaxIQZoom115m. Could the reason be that your red eye reduction lamp is too weak? Also, it depends on the eyes - blue eyes, for instance, are more likely to turn red than the black ones.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 7:52 AM   #5

My A80 is will produce red eye with anyone. Blue, brown eyes, kids or adults. At a recent function, every shot I took had red eye. A group of 5 people produced 10 red eyes. It is turned on. Again, my bud with an A70 has the same experience. Always gets red eyes. This is why I dont think the problem is limited to my camera or technique only.

I have two little girls and they are both blue eyed. The red eye on the younger one is absolutely awful.

take a look at this link. Please excuse the crummy interface. Its the only photo sharing site I have at the moment.

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/gue...6F92905B&cb=PA
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:53 AM   #6

Oh, yeah, it's bad. But red eyes reduction would not help here in any case - it works only when people look straight at the camera. I doubt another camera would do a much better job here. More light would help.. Or a tripod and turning flash off..
Old Dec 22, 2003, 3:18 AM   #7

Second thought. The flash construction could make a difference - how bright it is and its directional pattern, so I guess another camera might do a better job indeed..
Old Dec 22, 2003, 8:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg
Second thought. The flash construction could make a difference - how bright it is and its directional pattern, so I guess another camera might do a better job indeed..
Thats what I'm thinking also. The lens/flash orientation has a lot to do with it, but there may be other flash characteristics that also matter.

I used the camera again yesterday at the kids Christmas play rehearsal. Same results. Horrible red eye in every shot. This camera is worthless to me for indoor flash photography. Taking pics such as this is pretty common for me. The camera ia going back.

I'm leaning away from Canon altogether at this point. As much as I dislike Sony, and their proprietary memory stick and batteries, I may go that way. Maybe a P9 or P10. The Olympus Stylus 400 is also on the list.

Its a shame because I also inverted in a 256M CF card and a 4x AA NiMH/charger setup for the A80. Wont be able to use either of them.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 6:06 PM   #9

Have you talked with canon about this problem?

Canon are not a new entry manufacturer, and if there is red eye reduction on their latest camera it means so. I did not heard any flaws of this ins good reviews of teh A80, such as steve's digicam review. So it maybe the camera of yours and your friends are both defective.

Good luck
marz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 6:43 PM   #10

Default red eye

I bought the s400 a couple of weeks ago and taken a bunch of pictures and no redeye yet, all picts taken in auto mode
zookre is offline   Reply With Quote