Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:48 PM   #1

Default SX130 shot to shot delay with flash

Hi,

I went to bestbuy to check it out (they finally got it in).

I was acutally more impressed with the shutter lag than I thought I would be.

HOWEVER, the shot to shot delay while using the flash was REALLY long.
The average seemed to be about 10 seconds - a few times the delay was about 13 seconds (and a few times about 8 seconds). This is much longer than I expected.
I was also bothered by the fact that while you were waiting for the flash to cycle, the screen is black and you cannot even frame your next shot while you wait for the flash to charge.

The pictures were great, but man, that is a long shot to shot delay.
Is this typical of this camera or was the demo model defective?
Keep in mind this was while using the AC adapter as the power-supply rather than batteries.

Anyone have any input? Steve's review put the shot to shot with the flash at a reasonable 4.8 seconds, but I got nothing near that at all.

Thanks!
Juggernaut

Last edited by Juggernaut; Oct 7, 2010 at 10:59 PM.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:07 PM   #2

well you need to wait for the flash to recharge. As it is most likely firing at full power. If you can -EV the flash, and use less power. It should not fully discharge and fire a little quicker.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 3:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
well you need to wait for the flash to recharge. As it is most likely firing at full power. If you can -EV the flash, and use less power. It should not fully discharge and fire a little quicker.
Hi shoturtle,

I fully understand the reason for the wait.

I am just confused as to why steve's review would say that the wait was 4.6 seconds and I am seeing (in the bestbuy demo) a delay of 10 seconds or longer.
That is a long time to recharge - especially when using a direct power supply.

I am just wondering how many shots I will miss waiting almost a 1/6-1/4 of a minute for the flash to recycle....

Ugh! I was ready to buy this camera!
Juggernaut
Old Oct 8, 2010, 7:12 PM   #4

Juggernaut-

I just timed my SX-130 camera and it was 5 seconds on my wrist watch. As S/T said if you can not fully deplete the capicator, the re-charge time will be even shorter. My guess is that the in-store power supply that powers the cameras along the whole display case is supplying less than normal voltage, to accommodate all the different brands of cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Juggernaut-

I just timed my SX-130 camera and it was 5 seconds on my wrist watch. As S/T said if you can not fully deplete the capicator, the re-charge time will be even shorter. My guess is that the in-store power supply that powers the cameras along the whole display case is supplying less than normal voltage, to accommodate all the different brands of cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah.

I went back to the store to test a bit more.

At least on their model this is what I found:

1) When either zoomed in, or not zoomed in but viewing something far away, the shot to shot delay was actually 12 seconds repeatedly using a timer (not the 10 I had counted without a timer).

2) When not zoomed in but looking at a close object the shot to shot time was 6 seconds

My 5 year old canon would let you frame the shot again while waiting for the next shot, but this camera does not (you have to look at a blank screen while it cycles) - this will certainly add to the delay as my shot to shot time does not include any framing of the picture.

Sarah, have you timed it when focusing on something far away?

I hope you are right that it is a power supply issue.

I actually brought my 5 year old canon a610 with me to compare.
-shot to shot of far object was 6 seconds.
-shot to shot of a close object was 3 seconds.
Plus it lets you frame the next picture while waiting.

6 seconds is tolerable, but 12 seconds is hard to handle...I hope you are right.
I guess I can always buy it and return it if I am not happy with it...
(plus I wonder how often I would actually be zooming in and using the flash at the same time - not likely to be very often)

Thanks,
Juggernaut

Last edited by Juggernaut; Oct 8, 2010 at 9:24 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:33 PM   #6

Just for those who have the camera, I found a "cheat" to let you frame the shot while waiting for the flash to cycle: If you put the flash down, all of a sudden the view-finder somes back on, thus you can frame the shot and when you put the flash back up, the view finder stays on.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:37 PM   #7

Juggernaut-

I guess I am just lucky with my SX-130. BTW, what was the power source for the camera you were testing today?? Was it actually AA batteries?? How fresh were those batteries?? Were they alkaline batteries?? If it was a counter transformer power source, I researched them and they are designed to put out minimum voltage, actually only enough to just turn on the camera, so a counter transformer puts out less voltage, and far less wattage than even just two AA re-chargeable batteries like the 1.6 volt nickel metal zinc batteries that are sold under the Power GenX brand.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:22 PM   #8

Juggernaut - I recently purchased the SX30 and am very pleased with the shot to shot lag even with flash and at full zoom. I'm comparing the lag to my SD700. It's no longer than any shot taken with the 700. I really hate shutter lag but I find it to be no problem with the SX30. I use an Ultra Sandisk memory card. Not sure if that makes much difference.
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Juggernaut-

I guess I am just lucky with my SX-130. BTW, what was the power source for the camera you were testing today?? Was it actually AA batteries?? How fresh were those batteries?? Were they alkaline batteries?? If it was a counter transformer power source, I researched them and they are designed to put out minimum voltage, actually only enough to just turn on the camera, so a counter transformer puts out less voltage, and far less wattage than even just two AA re-chargeable batteries like the 1.6 volt nickel metal zinc batteries that are sold under the Power GenX brand.

Sarah Joyce
Just to update, the shot to shot performance for me is not better than what I got in the store.

I'm using energizer rechargable batteries. Best I get is 12 seconds shot to shot if flash is at maximum. I can get 6 seconds when not at maximum.
When the battery starts to run down I have gotten a 18 second delay on occasion.

Perhaps I need to get the 1.6 V batteries?

I like the camera alot but hate the delay.

Juggernaut