Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 21, 2003, 2:40 PM   #1

Default Nikon Coolpix 3700 v Canon Powershot A70

Hi.
Was wondering if you could help this first time buyer with his dilemna. Having just decided on the Canon Powershot A70 over the Nikon Coolpix 3100 a friend alerted me to the fact that the 3700 was on sale in the local shop.
Now I;ve no idea which one to choose. The price difference is that of a 128mb card with the Canon being cheaper.

Many thanks in advance.
Chon
Chon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2003, 3:52 PM   #2

I think the 3700 is by far a better camera than the nikon 3100.But the 3700 and the canon a70 now that might be a bit of a toss up.If you can get the a70 over the nikon for less i would say Go and Get it.Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 3:07 PM   #3

Thanks.
I can get the Powershot A70 with an extra 128mb card for the same price as the standard Nikon 3700.

However I think that the 3700 comes with a rechargeable battery and charger so that kinda evens things out a bit. Also it seems to be more compact and lighter especailly seeing as though the Powershot A70 uses 4 AA batteries.
Not sure whether this will be a problem or not... I've never had a digital camera before.
Noticed you have a Powershot A80 which, correct me if i'm wrong, is very similar to the A70. Do you have any problem carrying it around with you?
Old Dec 22, 2003, 4:19 PM   #4

To Chon. Iam glad to see you got the canon. The a80 is just a little cut above the a70 and it fits my shirt pocket very well.Please let me know how it goes and if i can be of any help.Tealblue
Old Dec 23, 2003, 5:27 PM   #5

Thank you Tealblue for all your help. I really appreciate it.

I've made a similar post to this in another forum and one of the responses that I got was that the CP3700 is much lighter than the A70. Whilst I knew this they then went on to claim that the A70 isn;t pocketable.

This is quite worrying and I would like to be able to carry around my camera for general usage and not for just prime photo trips.

Do you have both cameras? If so could you tell me whether this is true or not. (I've not actually bought the Canon yet but am leaning towards it)
Old Dec 23, 2003, 7:22 PM   #6

To CHON. Hello again. The 3700 is 4inches longx2inches tallx1 1/2 inches thick. The A80 is 4 inches longx2 1/2 tall and almost 2 inches thick. The 3700 is very flat where the A80 has some roundness at one end where the battery door is.The 3700 does weigh less than the canon,but i dont think you will notice that very much. I carry my a80 in my shirt pocket but its not like the 3700 . Tealblue
Old Dec 24, 2003, 4:20 AM   #7

The 3700 comes with a 16Mb card, right? So, this doesn't really even things out as you'll have to get a bigger memory card for the Nikon anyway (and SD is more expensive than CF). The A70 weights more, but mainly because of the AA batteries that unlike the Nikon's EN-EL5 you can get anywhere, and they last much longer. The Canon is bulkier, but mainly because of the very convenient handle on the right, which I personally like very much. This is right, the A70 is not really pocketable, but anyways it's better to keep a digicam in a protective case - mine has a shoulder strap and a belt loop, so I have no problem carrying it around with me. So, as you see, I'm all in favor of the Canon , but I have no experience with Nikons - might be great cameras too. I like the 3700's 30fps video and vast scene selection.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote