Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 12, 2010, 2:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
I've been using a Giottos protector on my Pentax K200D. They didn't have a specific one for my model but the 2.7" fit perfectly. Very good quality, minimal, if any ,effect on the brightness of the screen. A bit more $ but worth it in my opinion.

http://www.giottos.com/SP.htm

Regards
Is the Giotto's kind hard plastic or is it the flimsier film kind?
Kim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim. View Post
Is the Giotto's kind hard plastic or is it the flimsier film kind?
It is a high quality glass (Schott glass) with a metal frame. There is adhesive on the frame which attaches it over the LCD screen. It can be removed by applying heat from a hair dryer and re-applied. I used it in place of a thin plastic sheet which, no matter how hard I tried, always had a few air bubbles in it.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
It is a high quality glass (Schott glass) with a metal frame. There is adhesive on the frame which attaches it over the LCD screen. It can be removed by applying heat from a hair dryer and re-applied. I used it in place of a thin plastic sheet which, no matter how hard I tried, always had a few air bubbles in it.

Regards
Sounds better than the plastic sheets... So, with this protector on there would you be comfortable dropping it down in a purse or do you think the camera would still need a case?
Kim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:40 PM   #14

My camera has gone in and out of its slot in a camera backpack without anything happening to the Giottos cover and that's with it sliding against the padding. I don't know if it is entirely possible to avoid scratching the cover but in over a year it hasn't happened yet.

A purse might be a different story especially if there are keys and/or other sharp objects. The LCD cover would protect the screen but the camera itself might get marked or scratched. Would a case for the camera cover the LCD screen as well? If so, the case might be the better alternative.

Edited: In checking the Giottos site, there isn't a custom fit cover for the canon S95 so you would need to get a generic size, 2.5, 2.7 or 3.0 inches. If you can check them out at a camera store, the package has a template to check the size against the LCD display of your camera.

Regards

Last edited by bluenose; Oct 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM. Reason: Added additional information.
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Frank, how difficult was it to trim to fit? Were you able to trim it perfectly or did you undersize it a little?
My lcd has some dead area around the edges so I had a lot of leeway. If I'd been smart, I would have looked at the back of the laminate. There was a grid there. As it was, I just eyeballed, and cut off the excess trying to be as straight as possible.

It worked first time. I had sufficient laminate to try 5 more times anyway. I do know that in 7 months of plenty-of-use including biking with it around my neck, there's never been a scratch. So this is really overkill.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks FiveO... I never thought about using laminating sheets. How do you get them to stick to the LCD though? Are they sticky backed? And do they peel off ok if you need them to down the road?
Hi Kim,

Yes they are self-stick. The brand I previously bought (3M) at AC Moore a couple years ago peeled off quite easily yet never came off on its own. The new ones are "Headline Sign" brand and they are glossier than the 3M ones and thinner so I actually prefer them. The thinness of them helps to prevent air bubbles as the sheet is easily applied. They do peel off easily as well. I was in a rush the first time I cut one for my S95 and the size was off. I peeled it off 2 days later and redid it. No problems.

They are also particularly easy to cut to size for the S95 because the screen is virtually a perfect rectangle.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion. Most of the pre-cut protectors are of similar material with a 500%+ markup because someone cut them and called them a "protector."

In an emergency, you could always wipe down any LCD protector with bug tar remover if they got stuck. Let the bug tar remover sit for a little bit and then the sticker should peel right off. I learned this trick when I purchased a new car and wanted that darn dealer sticker off my car.