Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 24, 2010, 7:47 AM   #1

Default Canon SX130 ISO issue

Hi.

I finally bought the sx130. I am still testing it out, but so far the pictures look much better than my prior camera.

Main issue for this thread: I cannot get the camera to choose an ISO setting that is lower than 400 or 500 under any circumstances unless looking directly at a light source.
Even when an ISO of 80 would take a beautiful picture, the camera by default seems to pick 500 (sometimes 400).

Yes I know that the iso can be manually set and all the other settings can be changed as well, but I just am wondering if I am doing something wrong that the camera would always choose the ISO 400 or 500 setting. Even when taking outdoor shots in good light (overcast day today) or with the flash.
IMHO it seems the camera is using the ISO as an image stabilizing factor....

End result, instead of getting beautiful pictures at a lower iso setting, I get more grainy images taken at higher iso settings (although as I mentioned the images still look quite nice - just looking to optimize things here).

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the help!
Juggernaut

Last edited by Juggernaut; Oct 24, 2010 at 7:56 AM.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:12 PM   #2

I've just picked up this camera for my daughter. I opened it last night and put in the battery and card and started shooting. The shots weren't bad until I noticed the noise then noticed the same as you that were all taken at 400-800 ISO. I like to work (On my DSLR camera) between 80 and 200. I won't be downloading the CD I'm passing that on to my daughter, just hope it tells how to set that for herself.
The other thing I noticed is that it want's to pick out it's own focussing point and lock. I sortta like to do that for myself. I hope that can be a choice as well.

Anyone know??? Huh Huh.

These are the first shots from yesterday. Sitting on the couch first shots, then stepping out onto the deck.

EDIT: Well silly me. I shot these on AUTO obviously the camera will pick what IT wants or thinks is right. Shooting on "P" is to shoot the way I want. Choosing ISO and focus lock.
Works well...........I'm glad it's for my daughter....
Attached Images

Last edited by Scouse; Oct 27, 2010 at 5:27 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
I've just picked up this camera for my daughter. I opened it last night and put in the battery and card and started shooting. The shots weren't bad until I noticed the noise then noticed the same as you that were all taken at 400-800 ISO. I like to work (On my DSLR camera) between 80 and 200. I won't be downloading the CD I'm passing that on to my daughter, just hope it tells how to set that for herself.
The other thing I noticed is that it want's to pick out it's own focussing point and lock. I sortta like to do that for myself. I hope that can be a choice as well.

Anyone know??? Huh Huh.

These are the first shots from yesterday. Sitting on the couch first shots, then stepping out onto the deck.

EDIT: Well silly me. I shot these on AUTO obviously the camera will pick what IT wants or thinks is right. Shooting on "P" is to shoot the way I want. Choosing ISO and focus lock.
Works well...........I'm glad it's for my daughter....
Hi,

Ok, so it is not me. I wonder why they set it to choose such a high ISO by default.
It does help when the light is low but why would we need such an iso when taking a picture with the flash of something close?
Is this just a compromise to make sure the "average" shot comes out looking nice under all circumstances?

Yes, I too like to use the P mode - easy enough to change the ISO setting there.

My biggest concern was that it was some sort of sensor problem - the camera not detecting the light properly...but I guess not...

Thanks!
Juggernaut
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:18 PM   #4

I recently purchased the SX30 and am surprised at your problems with the camera selecting high ISO's. I've been using Program Mode. The camera is selecting very low ISO's for outdoor shots and they are beautiful. Very crisp with more detail and definition than my SD700 (which I adore). Indoor shots are another story! The noise is very bad, the exposures are dark and the colors very dull. I switched to using Shutter Priority with ISO 100. That takes care of the awful noise very nicely but the exposures are still dark and the color is very dull.

Has anyone been having similar issues with indoor flash shots?
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryRose View Post
I recently purchased the SX30 and am surprised at your problems with the camera selecting high ISO's. I've been using Program Mode. The camera is selecting very low ISO's for outdoor shots and they are beautiful. Very crisp with more detail and definition than my SD700 (which I adore). Indoor shots are another story! The noise is very bad, the exposures are dark and the colors very dull. I switched to using Shutter Priority with ISO 100. That takes care of the awful noise very nicely but the exposures are still dark and the color is very dull.

Has anyone been having similar issues with indoor flash shots?
Wait! Are you talking about the SX30 or SX 130? They are two different cameras....

I find that there is only really noticable noise when it goes above ISO 400 indoors.
I find the indoor shots to be nice & bright - often seems to amplify the light with the high iso - but again, I usually switch to the lower iso which gives me more clear shots with less noise but slightly darker images (not still natural looking). Perhaps you are seeing blurring rather than noise?

Last edited by Juggernaut; Oct 28, 2010 at 6:11 PM.