Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:45 PM   #1

Default Re poor indoor/flash IQ with SX30?

Has anyone found a way to work around the poor quality of the indoor/flash IQ shots with the SX30?

I purchased this camera (undecided if I'm keeping it). I love many things about it - great outdoor IQ. More detail of leaves and flower petals than my SD700. Great color. Amazingly sharp zoom even at 140x. Great IS even hand held with 1/15 second flash shot. But....the indoor flash shots are extremely noisey, underexposed and have very dull color. I've managed to lower the noise to a pretty good level by using Shutter Priority with ISO100 but the exposure and color is still unacceptable comparing it to my SD700.

Has anyone had these problems and found a way to deal with them? I'd love to keep the camera but can't justify the purchase if the indoor flash shots are this poor.

Thanks for your input!!
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:58 PM   #2

to get any good flash shots with a megazoom you will need a good extrernal flash. The Built in ones just are not that great and any camera really. Including the ones on a dslr.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 29, 2010 at 10:37 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:01 PM   #3

Thanks, shoturtle. I've been reading great things about external flashes. Sounds like a must have! (I used an external flash some decades ago but got away from it.)

I seem to have solved my poor exposure, noise and color issues on indoor flash shots. (Not using the full zoom.) When I used Shutter Priority and and ISO 80 and either 1/15 or 1/30 for shutter speeds - that did the trick. (I had tried ISO 100 but wasn't completely happy. The color wasn't great.) I was doing side by side shots with my SD 700 and the exposure, noise and color were almost identical using ISO 80. Whew. So far I really like this camera except for the indoor flash/exposure issues. I think it's a keeper now. If anyone is having similar difficulties....try ISO 80.
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:38 PM   #4

get a dedeicated canon flash, form any of the big brands, you can take advantage of the TTL on the sx30