Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 23, 2003, 8:48 PM   #1

Default Canon S400 v. A80

Can I really go wrong on either? Ive done alot of research, and ive basically found out that they are pretty much the same in quality. It seems the S400 is much more compact (obviously), and that the A80 has better battery life (with the AAs you can buy) so it seems each has a pro and con.

does it basically come down to which of those two options you value more?

i also seemed to gather that the A80 is much more manual, and the S400 is much more point and click. i believe im more of a point and click anyway
Davidnssbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2003, 10:35 PM   #2

I recently helped my girlfriend select a digicam for her horse riding trips and her two finalists came down to these same two. She picked the S400 due to the size and the fact the mode dial on the A80 is VERY easy to jar off it's current setting- something that would not be a problem for myself, but she might not know if she weren't reviewing shots as she went. She was interested in something easy to use & was not concerned with a lot of manual input by the user. If I were looking for such a camera with only onboard flash capabilities (I use a Powershot G5) I would have picked the A80. If you are at all interested in more manual adjustments, go for the A80.

The A80 is really nice- you basically have all the shooting options as the G5 with the exception of RAW capabilities and you cannot mount a separate flash, plus it is pict-bridge capable out of the box if that is something you'd be interested in.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 2:50 PM   #3

hi, so why would you pick the s400 instead?
lilandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 6:32 PM   #4

i personally went for the s400 (ixus 400 to be precise) because of the size and the look. battery in my ixus is just enough to take about 300 photos - a whole day of shooting, so i see no point in carrying extra weight such as a set of 4 batteries (besides - standard alkalines wont let you shoot more than just a couple of pictures i guess - waste of money). s400 is just enough for me, the only point in choosing a80 i can see are the manual settings which s400 lacks (a few of them really). The most imporatnt point for s400 is its pocket size (fits my pockets ). The point against it - it is sometimes diffcult to make a good picture without moving the camera in low light conditions with no flash, the camera is a little unstable due to small size and low weight.
maciek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 7:01 PM   #5

hi! thanks
i keep forgetting about the battery .. can't you get rechargeable batteries for the a80 tho?
i think the s400 looks so sweet but i've been told that shouldn't be my only criterion for a camera :-)
Old Dec 27, 2003, 7:07 PM   #6

there are rechargeable batteries of course, but they aren't much cheaper than an extra battery for s400, which is, in my opinion, much easier to carry when you travel etc..
some good li-ion, non-canon make should cost you around 25$, original canon (the difference is the sticker ) probably 50$ (i only know prices in Poland and dont really know the price for a charger +4x LR6 battery set...)
maciek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 7:44 PM   #7

oh okay! thanks :-)

i really want the s400 :-)
Old Dec 28, 2003, 10:49 AM   #8

I've seen great results on the net from the s400 and I'm considering buying one.

Here's why

- I'll carry it a lot (partys, trips, etc you get the point) so the size is perfect for me.
- I'm a beginner and I won't play too much with manual stuff
- The quality picture is really nice...
- I'm a student so budget restricted.

look at this (it's not mine, I found that on another forum)

http://public.fotki.com/revolve/vaca...n_maui/floral/

http://public.fotki.com/rEVOLVE/vaca..._maui/scenery/

http://public.fotki.com/rEVOLVE/vaca...xposures_nigh/

http://public.fotki.com/rEVOLVE/vaca.../people__misc/
Olivier12345 is offline   Reply With Quote