Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 10, 2010, 5:32 PM   #1

Default Canon S95 settings?

I picked up an S95 @Newegg wanting to see if I could qualify for 'Bill Me Later'-- mb I don't understand how the process works, but it appears you qualify at the time of purchase.....so that's what I did.... annnnyway....

So now I have an S95. My other pocket shooter (ZS7) is in the shop, so just in case I don't get it back I wanted to see if this S95 is a potential keeper. It seems like a great indoors cam more than anything. Just to make sure my bases are covered, can anyone recommend settings to adjust for optimal image quality? Aside from playing with fun scene modes, I'm using it mostly in P-mode with ISO set to max 400... I'll probably stay there awhile as I haven't managed a comfortable grasp of aperture and shutter speed yet.
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2010, 7:09 PM   #2

nevermind I am googling it
Old Nov 13, 2010, 1:43 AM   #3

There are no magical settings on any camera for all scenarios. Settings will vary based on the scene - otherwise cameras wouldn't have any settings at all and would just come set optically.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 3:20 AM   #4

No doubt. But one does encounter testament to the effect that there is benefit to adjusting some of the deeper menu items-- contrast, noise reduction, sharpness, saturation, whatever...

Anyhow, I've decided to leave those as-is for now since I'm more concerned with learning about basic photographic principles, and of course it would be good to see how the camera does with its default settings.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:23 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under_rock View Post
No doubt. But one does encounter testament to the effect that there is benefit to adjusting some of the deeper menu items-- contrast, noise reduction, sharpness, saturation, whatever...

Anyhow, I've decided to leave those as-is for now since I'm more concerned with learning about basic photographic principles, and of course it would be good to see how the camera does with its default settings.
This is a sensible approach. I prefer to use a camera's default settings and do some post processing which I have more control over, expecially in the area of Noise Reduction and Sharpness.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote