Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:04 PM   #1

Default SX200 IS...........thoughts.

im needing a new camera for myself.but thats another thread already started...my wife however has her eye on the sx200IS. what are your thoughts about this camera? i know its over a year old but seems to be a really decent camera.....

its main use will be pics of our pets (cats,dogs,birds,fish), as well as our girls (3yrs old, 1 year old, and baby 3 due in June). we vacation sometimes....but usually go stay in the mountains for the weekend here and there, disney trips will be coming soon as well.

anyway she loves the look of it, the feel of it, and is wondering how well it performs. so i told her id ask!!

well??
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:38 PM   #2

I have an SX200 IS and I think it is great. It's a very versatile little camera. It will never match a DSLR for image quality but I think it is one of the best long zoom compacts.

Here are some of the shots I've taken over the last year or so with mine.

Last edited by arrowhead; Nov 25, 2010 at 2:50 PM.
arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:42 PM   #3

wow nice photos there!! thanks for posting them
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:52 PM   #4

You are welcome and thank you for the positive comments
All of these photos have been edited in some way but nothing major. Some have been cropped, but I forget which, and all will have had either a slight contras or saturation boost.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:59 PM   #5

well im a pretty basic photographer..........so basic in fact that i cant seem to grasp why people use different ISO when the high setting looks best LOL...anyway im deciding on this camera, the sx30 is, or the e-pl1.....i think the e-pl1 will be to advanced in which ill never use a majority of the features........this sx200 seems awesome with its small size etc.....and basically spec wise it seems to be a pretty good match to my failing S5-IS, but it has a digic 4 instead of digic 3, and it also has more megapixels, same zoom, and smaller size...........
Old Nov 26, 2010, 1:04 AM   #6

say arrowhead.......is there any limitations on the size of movie you can take? some cameras (e-pl1) only allow like 5-10 mins or "x" GB amount of space for movie? i figure if im gonna buy a camera with hi def capabilities i want more than 5 or so mins......especially if i throw in a 16GB card.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:53 AM   #7

The limits are 30 minutes or 4GB, whichever is reached first.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 1:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman View Post
say arrowhead.......is there any limitations on the size of movie you can take? some cameras (e-pl1) only allow like 5-10 mins or "x" GB amount of space for movie? i figure if im gonna buy a camera with hi def capabilities i want more than 5 or so mins......especially if i throw in a 16GB card.
Hi Bryman,

I read somewhere that you cannot optically zoom with that camera (sx 200) when shooting video - only digital zoom there.

The 210 has optical zoom with video, I believe, but apparently the image quality is not as good as with the 200.

My 2 cents,
Juggernaut
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 3:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Hi Bryman,

I read somewhere that you cannot optically zoom with that camera (sx 200) when shooting video - only digital zoom there.

The 210 has optical zoom with video, I believe, but apparently the image quality is not as good as with the 200.

My 2 cents,
Juggernaut

thank you, good to know.....
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead View Post
I have an SX200 IS and I think it is great. It's a very versatile little camera. It will never match a DSLR for image quality but I think it is one of the best long zoom compacts.

Here are some of the shots I've taken over the last year or so with mine.

Hi Arrowhead.

Nice shots.

How does one take a shot like the stream one above?

I find that when I lengthen the exposure time that I just get an overexposed image.

What is the secret?

Thanks!
Juggernaut
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote