Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:21 PM   #1

Default First experience with the Canon S95 and Aperture 3

I spent some time researching pocket cameras before deciding which camera was going to replace my wife's DSLR. She claimed her DSLR was just too big for her to comfortably carry around.

I started looking at P&S cameras and decided on the Canon S95 after reading numerous reviews and borrowing a friends S90. The S90 gave some very impressive results for such a small camera. I prefer to shoot with raw files but could not open the raw files from the S90 in Aperture 2, but with Elements 8 and ACR 6.0.1 I could. I shot in jpeg and raw to compare the differences and jpeg seems to have a harder time with highlights especially in the sky. Raw is the way to go to get the most out of this small camera.

With the S90 and S95 raw files not being readable I decide it was time to spend the money ($99) to upgrade to Aperture 3. I have been patiently waiting for Apple to work out all the reported bugs with Aperture 3 and finally upgraded. Now I can shoot raw with the S95.

Well with a new camera and photo editing program I went out yesterday and took a hike to give things a try and this is my first impression of both.

The Canon S95;
This was a difficult place for any camera with the fading light so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. It performed about like I expected it too after spending some time with the S90. I thought the noise control would be a little better then the results I got at ISO 1600. I'm not coming to any conclusions yet on the high ISO results after one outing but the S90 in jpeg seemed to do a little better with noise control. I'll try again and see.

The shutter delay is quick, and the user interface is very easy to navigate along with the two dials for quick settings changes.

I like this camera. It's a excellent P&S for someone who uses a DSLR most of the time.

Aperture 3;
I'll post about that in the Editors forum later.

Here's a few shots from yesterday, ISO 800.
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:24 PM   #2

ISO 800. EXIF in photo.
Attached Images

Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:27 PM   #3

They pretty much fixed all the aperture 3 bugs. It is on 80 dollars if you get it on the new apple apps store. That is a heck of a deal. But aperture 3 is a memory hog, need at least 4gb of ram or you will get all bogged down. It is fast when you have 8gb of Ram.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:28 PM   #4

Last one. This one with flash and ISO 800. I ended up deleting all the ISO 1600 shots, they where just to noisy for me.
Attached Images

Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
They pretty much fixed all the aperture 3 bugs. It is on 80 dollars if you get it on the new apple apps store. That is a heck of a deal. But aperture 3 is a memory hog, need at least 4gb of ram or you will get all bogged down. It is fast when you have 8gb of Ram.
I ordered mine last week. I guess my patients ran out a little to soon.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:31 PM   #6

yeah, the just launch the apps store 2 days ago. That aperture deal is one heck of a deal.

I was one of the first to get aperture 3 when it came out in feb. I reported a bunch of the early bugs to apple.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
Last one. This one with flash and ISO 800. I ended up deleting all the ISO 1600 shots, they where just to noisy for me.
Good idea. I have actually set my Auto ISO limit at ISO 640 now, though ISO 800 is ok also for smaller prints.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:37 AM   #8

I was just looking back through my library and came across this. This shot was taken with a friends S90. I was was using ISO 1600. It looks fine to me, much better then my wife's new S95. The S90 was shot in jpeg and I have been shooting in raw. I'll have to try and duplicate this shot with the S95 for comparison.

Canon S90, ISO 1600, f/5, 1/30, 12.8mm
Attached Images