Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:53 AM   #1

Default Both my P&S canons died, what to do

Well it seems my pride the S5 as well as my S1 both seem to have recently died. This may have stemmed from an incident a year ago, but the S5 has taken a couple thousand shots since then so IDK. When I turn it on the lense ratchets a little and the gives out a few beeps and says 'Lens error please restart camera'. My S1 just takes pictures of static (camera and replay work fine, something wrong with the sensor).

I think the S5 was great but was always wanting to go up the dSLR. Almost got an XTi instead of the S5. So I am wondering if maybe now is the time to go dSLR with the T1i or 2i. Anyone else finally contemplating going to the rebel? Anyone think the newer p&s are that much better than the S5?

The main things that my S5 left me wishing for more was in sharpness - especially full res crops of wildlife usually did not come out that great. Also do a lot of photography in not so great light, and even night photography, which the S5 could pull off but obviously not proffesional results.

So just looking for some opinions.
mInDtrIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:48 AM   #2

I too have been an owner of the Canon S1,S2,S3, and S5 cameras. However, they all eventually succumbed to the infamous Code 18 error. The code 18 error is a failure in the lens ratchet system that both extends and retracts the lens on those cameras.

Since then, I have move to using the Panasonic FZ series cameras, and have experienced no further problems. Currently, I have both the FZ28 and FZ40, having recently sold off my FZ35 camera. The FZ series cameras have been very reliable and dependable for me. An they are fun to use as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:28 AM   #3

Sarah, you've been a wealth of information in the past, the little I have been on the forums. Does my problem sound like the code 18 problem? It doesnt give me any code, just the 'lens error please restart camera' on the viewscreen. I take it since you jumped ship that this is no easy fix either, is it? Its ashame that you spend several hundred and only get 2-3 years. I am also second guessing staying with canon for dSLR but they seem to have better quality, and I dont really see much competition for the T2i anywhere near its price class right now so its really hard not to look at it. Its just ashame what I spent on the S1 and S5 could get me a T2i right now!

I might look into the Panasonics as well, I just have had bad luck with thier products in the past. I know its nothing related to cameras but I recall when shopping for my first HDTV several years ago the salesman flat out told me to skip them, said they had multiple display models already bad. After visiting 2 more stores that day the other two stores also had panasonics that were already blurry or had screen burn or something or other.

Anyhow... wanted to mention though that they did survive a lot of use, being out below freezing in the woods, on skii trips, hiking, etc. The incident they survived last year was running over my camera bag with the front tire of my truck... not a litle truck either its a F350 crew cab long bed V10. I think I was fortunate to have so much in my camera bag, both cameras, charger, lenses, tripod, etc, it made it more rigid. Had it just been my S5 it probably would have been a heap of broken plastic. It did shatter a UV filter and case, crack the lens tube adapter, and crack the plastic across the pop out flash. They cameras both worked afterwards, though I lost the flash on the S5. It still managed a couple thousand pics between then and now though.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:42 PM   #4

I have owned the Panasonic FZ28, FZ35, and now the FZ40. Dependability has not been a problem at all and the image quality of the FZ40 has really been excellent.

For example using a Scene Mode I took the attached photo with my FZ40. The exposure was F 3.7 at 1/80th with ISO 2000. No flash was used!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:45 PM   #5

If you want to stay with a superzoom, I recommend the Panasonic FZ series as does Sarah. I had an FZ28, which took pretty good pictures in all kinds of settings.

Of course, if you get a T2i with a decent lens, its picture quality will probably be better than any superzoom's.

I have the latest Canon superzoom, the SX30IS. It takes pretty good shots in good light, but it will not win awards for low light photography or sharpness throughout much of its 24-840mm zoom range. I am not sure it would be what you want.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:32 AM   #6

The zoom range of the superzoom has always appealed to me, especially for wildlife photography, but I am not stuck to it. The Canon G series is appealing as well. Do they have a better rep than the S1-5 series did? The more I think about dropping $800 or so on a SLR I get than uneasy feeling, especially since that doesnt include any of the supporting equipment either. I have nothing for a slr, heck my tripods probably wouldnt even hold it! And I'd know I'd want to get a 250 or 300mm lens, and extra batteries are $$ etc. So lets say for around $1000 I MIGHT be able to get a very basic T2i setup. Then again if you look at both my S1 and S5 and stuff I have bought for them I have spent nearly the same, and they are both dead in well under 10 years.

All my photography is just personal, I have no professional experience or enter in any kind of contests or anything like that. But I am anal about good pictures, and enjoy photography. I take a lot of wildlife photography from birds to deer and macro shots of bugs, and scenery pics from kayaking & hiking in the mountains and things like that.

The S5 did great for some things, nice 8x10's (or was it 12's, I dont remember) of waterfalls in the mountains. But trying to capture a bird on the wing, deer at dawn, or crop down on a small subject at full res, and quality was hard to get.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mInDtrIP View Post
Well it seems my pride the S5 as well as my S1 both seem to have recently died. This may have stemmed from an incident a year ago, but the S5 has taken a couple thousand shots since then so IDK. When I turn it on the lense ratchets a little and the gives out a few beeps and says 'Lens error please restart camera'. My S1 just takes pictures of static (camera and replay work fine, something wrong with the sensor).

I think the S5 was great but was always wanting to go up the dSLR. Almost got an XTi instead of the S5. So I am wondering if maybe now is the time to go dSLR with the T1i or 2i. Anyone else finally contemplating going to the rebel? Anyone think the newer p&s are that much better than the S5?

The main things that my S5 left me wishing for more was in sharpness - especially full res crops of wildlife usually did not come out that great. Also do a lot of photography in not so great light, and even night photography, which the S5 could pull off but obviously not proffesional results.

So just looking for some opinions.
If the problem with your S1 is what I think it is you will be able to get it repaired for free. Please see this link for more info, http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

My A60 had this fault. I contacted Canon, they told me to take it to my nearest repair centre and they sent it away to be repaired. 2 weeks later I had a working camera again
arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead View Post
If the problem with your S1 is what I think it is you will be able to get it repaired for free. Please see this link for more info, http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

My A60 had this fault. I contacted Canon, they told me to take it to my nearest repair centre and they sent it away to be repaired. 2 weeks later I had a working camera again
Hmm worth a shot!
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:56 PM   #9

If you are looking to replace the dead Canons call Canon service and ask for the loyalty program, they will upgrade you to a refurbished camera for a good price

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote