Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:20 AM   #1

Default G7 to G12 .. worthy ?

I have had my trusty G7 for a few years now, use it for everyday pics and the family, I was wondering, anybody with experience with the G12, is it worth to upgrade ? is the quality better, how about in low light ?

cheers

Carlos
NullMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:06 PM   #2

I just bought a G12. I'm happy with it. I'm a long time photographer...medium format, slr's, DSLR's.

I have a modern Pentax DSLR system...about 6 lenses, two bodies and I'm out shooting on a regular basis.

I wanted a small, carry around camera that can take good pix...although I realize it's not at the same level as my DSLR's..due to sensor size.
I got the G12 because I can control settings from the various switches, knobs, etc.

I have never used a G7...but the G12 has some advantages...video, I believe (haven't tried it yet- so check) movable monitor.

Don't know about better low light performance but the ISO goes up to 3200...which must be greater than the G7.

From what I understand the G series has been a good, little pix producer throughout the series.

If your's still works well and you don't want the movie mode, maybe save some bucks and stick with it....or put money towards an add on flash

One thing I want to get is an add on flash...thinking of the Canon 270 or 430...I find the in flash unit in the G a little small and weak. Not sure what the improvement would be, but I'm expecting there would be an improvement in pictures.

Other then that the G12 is a great little camera....but I'm not sure if you would gain that much going from a 7 to a 12.

Last edited by lesmore49; Jan 21, 2011 at 12:08 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:14 PM   #3

Les-

I agree that the G-Series cameras have be very good photographically. However, a few have been better than others. Just as the G9 was a measurably larger step forward in terms of image quality, the G11 with it new imager, and the G12 with its front mounted command dial. Congratulations on your new G12.

In terms of an external flash, I have found the Canon EX-270 to be a well balanced and an ideal flash for use on the G11 and G12.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 30, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Les-

I agree that the G-Series cameras have be very good photographically. -11However, a few have been better than others. Just as the G9 was a measurably larger step forward in terms of image quality, the G11 with it new imager, and the G12 with its front mounted command dial. Congratulations on your new G12.I'm glad you responded Sarah. As you noted , I was fumbling a bit in my initial answer, never having used the G7, re; is the G12 better than the G7. The info you have provided..ie; the G9 was a step forward over previous G series quality wise, etc., (including the G7) is the info the OP needs.

In terms of an external flash, I have found the Canon EX-270 to be a well balanced and an ideal flash for use on the G11 and G12.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for the info. regarding the Canon 270 flash. I plan to submit a thread, once I've figured out what I need..flash wise, etc..asking for the pro's and cons's of the 270 vs the 430, for use on the G12. I'm hoping that you will provide advice on this matter.

Les
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:58 PM   #5

Les-

I will be happy to discuss both the Canon EX270 and the EX430, as I use both flash units.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Les-

I will be happy to discuss both the Canon EX270 and the EX430, as I use both flash units.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah.....I'll probably sort out the questions in the next month or so, once I figure out (through use in different situations) the in camera flash...through experimentation.

Les