Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:15 PM   #1

Default Some Canon S95 shots

I got the S95 for a trip to China. I wanted a sharp bright, lens, good low light, pocketable, and easy to use when snapping off shots in a hurry. I couldn't be more pleased with the performance of the S95. It seems to be a great vacation camera. I've posted a few examples that show the capabilities of the camera. I shot all of the photos in aperature mode. I did not use the flash during the entire trip, despite indoor shots and generally overcast weather. Shots remained sharp despite high ISO. Notes:

1. The Chinese Opera shot was hand held, using only stage lighting. ISO: 500, Exposure: 1/200 sec, Aperture: 4.5. Lost some detail because I had to crop close.
2. Shot in color, photoshopped to b/w later. ISO: 400, Exposure: 1/160 sec, Aperture: 3.5
3. Candid shot with baby and grandma. Natural light. ISO: 800, Exposure: 1/400 sec, Aperture: 5.0
4. Chengdu temple. ISO: 800, Exposure: 1/60 sec, Aperture: 5.0
5. The Temple of Heaven shot was taken in Low Light mode of a room so dimly lit that I could hardly see the interior from outside. ISO: 1000. Exposure: 1/125 sec. Aperture: 4.0
Attached Images

atldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:23 AM   #2

I can't wait for the snow and cold to go away so I can get out with my S 95 to shoot some outdoor stuff.
The indoor photos I've taked with no flash are pretty amazing to me.
As you said the low light setting is great for almost no light shots.
Damn thing sees better then me in low light

Nice shots!
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Super Moderator

very nice series. looks like the s95 worked well (which I expect, its a great vacation cam when you need good images from low-good light in a compact)

love the texture you captured in the tree.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the nice comments about the images. I chose from my portfolio those images that highlighted the low light capabilities of the camera. I'm pleased about the overall sharpness of the lens also, which is visible in the b/w shot of the tree. The full sized versions of these shots are even more impressive.

I initially wasn't too happy with the metering on full auto using the factory settings. I had particular problems with underexposed subjects in backlit situations. It took some trial and error to get the metering set just right. I'm quite pleased with the camera now. I'd recommend playing around with the settings until you find what works for you.

Also, I should add that all of these shots use the neutral color mode. The factory color setting seemed a too saturated for me. However, some of my images look a bit washed out, esp considering the vibrant colors one finds in China. I may go back to the factory color setting.
atldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 1:26 AM   #5

Excellent shots!
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:38 AM   #6

Hi, nice photo. Anyway, anyone took the photo of kids and animals that are moving?

I am planning to buy a camera to take speed action, at first, the seller recommend DSLR but I told them I want something that is small size so I can carry around easily.

And that camera shop seller recommend this model, I wonder is this camera meet my requirement?
Teoh Lay Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:04 AM   #7

Nice shots, the last two are my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atldave View Post
I initially wasn't too happy with the metering on full auto using the factory settings. I had particular problems with underexposed subjects in backlit situations. It took some trial and error to get the metering set just right.
For me & my S95, the 'Beach' scene setting is the best exposure to start with for backlit subjects. If it's a stationary subject I then move on to spot metering and manual control.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:04 AM   #8

These are fabulous!
jforjames is offline   Reply With Quote