Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:47 PM   #1

Default Canon G series life expectancy ?

I bought my first Canon last month, a G12. Great, little camera, feels robust, does everything I ask of it.

BTW, I'm not a pro, just an enthusiastic amateur, who nonetheless, particularly now that I'm retired, give my digital cameras a daily workout.

I'm assuming the Canon G series is a durable unit, Canon having an excellent reputation and the G series being their premium, small camera.

Wondering what other's experience is...lifetime expectations of the G series, from the intro G...up to the newest in the pack, the G12 ?

Any problems with them ?

lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:08 PM   #2

les-

I am still actively shooting with my Canon G-6 that I purchased in 2003.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
les-

I am still actively shooting with my Canon G-6 that I purchased in 2003.

Sarah Joyce
Going on 8 years is impressive.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:06 PM   #4

I bought my G11 in 2009 when it was 2 weeks on the market. I did have to send it back about 5 months later for a quick adjustment as the date kept resetting even though it shouldn't. I can't recall what the part was which was replaced.
If the battery is out of it for a long time it apparently will run the risk of possibility needing the date to be reset (at the time mine was being used daily). So, that's something to keep your eye on.

Otherwise, I haven't had any issues and still actively use my camera.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug74 View Post
I bought my G11 in 2009 when it was 2 weeks on the market. I did have to send it back about 5 months later for a quick adjustment as the date kept resetting even though it shouldn't. I can't recall what the part was which was replaced.
If the battery is out of it for a long time it apparently will run the risk of possibility needing the date to be reset (at the time mine was being used daily). So, that's something to keep your eye on.

Otherwise, I haven't had any issues and still actively use my camera.
Thank you for the history. I will bear in mind the battery situation.

Les
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:26 PM   #6

My G2 still works great and takes fantastic photos.
Dave
Super Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:25 PM   #7

I have a Canon G5 and G6 that are used on a regular basis still. They work great for product photography.

The G5 is in amazing condition and doesn't get used quite as often as it use to, however the G6 is still used several times a week. It has taken a few spills on the tripod, but still works and captures photos; but only with an external monitor (how I use it anyway). The G6 has been my favorite G-series PowerShot ever since I first put my hands on one. I suspect they'll both be working for many years to come. The G-series models are built like tanks.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
I have a Canon G5 and G6 that are used on a regular basis still. They work great for product photography.

The G5 is in amazing condition and doesn't get used quite as often as it use to, however the G6 is still used several times a week. It has taken a few spills on the tripod, but still works and captures photos; but only with an external monitor (how I use it anyway). The G6 has been my favorite G-series PowerShot ever since I first put my hands on one. I suspect they'll both be working for many years to come. The G-series models are built like tanks.
Thank you Billy. Good to know the G series is a tough, little camera and that that reputation isn't just promoted by advertising, but is the case in real life.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:13 PM   #9

G2 (2001) and G3 (2002) - the first is still used at Uni during the geological field trips, the second is used almost daily (tethered to a comp) in a small jewellery factory.
G9 is used a few times a week by a coworker since 2007, my G11 is less than a year old, so it's too early to tell

Last edited by algold; Feb 9, 2011 at 5:16 PM.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by algold View Post
G2 (2001) and G3 (2002) - the first is still used at Uni during the geological field trips, the second is used almost daily (tethered to a comp) in a small jewellery factory.
G9 is used a few times a week by a coworker since 2007, my G11 is less than a year old, so it's too early to tell
These G series don't seem to wear out...hope my G12 carries on with the tradition set by your older G's.