Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 31, 2003, 6:17 PM   #1

Default Better A80 flash.

You can improve the flash on this unit by setting the white balance to SUNLIGHT. It will make a BIG differance in the outcome of your flash pix.It will not help with the redeye that some people say thet are having,so far i have seen very little red eye with my A80 and now over 6400 pix taken.Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2004, 12:37 PM   #2

Default Re: Better A80 flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealblue
You can improve the flash on this unit by setting the white balance to SUNLIGHT. It will make a BIG differance in the outcome of your flash pix.It will not help with the redeye that some people say thet are having,so far i have seen very little red eye with my A80 and now over 6400 pix taken.Tealblue
The red eye problem...that would be me. It wasn't limited to the A80. A Sony P10 and Olympus C4000 had similar problems. Too bad. I really liked the A80 except for that. My bud that has an A70 has the same complaint.

Still trying to decide what to get for a camera that will do what I need. I may wind up with two cameras. Maybe an S400 for convenience and something with an external flash for more serious stuff and indoor flash use.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 5:51 PM   #3

To SJM817. Yes you are so wright. They all have this problem. I have owned over 40 dig-cams and never found one that red eye wasnt a problem so way along the road. I have found a flash from vivitar that says it will work on a A80 and you DONT need a hot shoe.It must use some kind of strap or what ever to mount to the body and might use the tripod inlet to help hold it on.I will let you know how it goes when it gets here in a few days.Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 6:18 PM   #4

I bought an S400 today. Nice LITTLE camera. No manual control that the A80 had, but the small size is nice. The A80 was not really shirt pocket size, but the S400 is.

Just played with it a little. Its point and shoot. Nothing to play with really. And yes, it has the same red eye issue, that the other 3 had. I wasn't expecting it to be any better.

I realize that this how these small cameras are. I figured if I have to live with red eye, might as well get the super small size camera to justify it. It will be nice for convenience to keep with me. Nice vaca camera.

I will be getting another camera. Not sure what it will be yet. Maybe G3 or G5 or similar camera with a hot shoe and a dedicated flash. Maybe even go for a Digital Rebel!

I also have my eye on a used Olympus E10 DSLR for a pretty decent price.

Tealblue,

If you are looking at a slave flash, take a look here:
http://www.srelectronics.com/
They mount via a bracket that connects to the tripod hole. They have an optical sensor that triggers the flash. The thing is, since it is a "dumb" flash, it does not set up the metering on the camera. That has to be done manually. It could work on the A80, but the S400 would be an issue since it has no setting for shutter and aperture.

Good Luck!
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote