Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:00 PM   #1

Default G 12 - my review- also available light capability

Just got the G12 a month or so ago. Been doing a lot of available light photography portraits...using low ISO...80, 100...a bit more.
Also been using 640, 800 ISO.

I use the AV (aperture) setting...sometimes using F 2.8 (when I can)...sometimes F 4, 5.6.

Usually try to use tripod on stable support.

I'm very surprised how good the metering is with shadows, low light. Really handles significantly different shadowing and shading...quite well, if you know what I mean.

This little G series is very much beyond the capability of a P + S.

I've been experimenting with it...metering, low/high ISO, F stop...it's working out better than I thought.

Smaller sensor than a DSLR...yes...but the picture production is excellent...good tone, grain...pardon me noise (hard when you're an old guy used to old terms )...this is a wonderful, little camera ....just wish the lens was an F1.8 or F 2.0...but I'm not really complaining the F 2.8 is very workable.

Very happy.

Reminds me a bit of my old Leica Rangefinder 35 mm's capability.

Now I'm no good with computers...re; posting pictures....so I can't provide any.

Just wondering.... anyone else with a Canon G series doing available light portraits ?

Any hints, techniques ?

Also how do people find their G series as a all around camera ? Comments......

Last edited by lesmore49; Feb 15, 2011 at 12:19 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2011, 3:35 AM   #2

Can you get blurred backgrounds with your G12 when shooting your portrait shots?
arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:06 AM   #3

Sort of....but not really. So far not anywhere near what I can get with my 50 mm F 1.4 (Pentax) on one of my DSLR bodies....but to be expected I suppose as the F 1.4 is considerably faster than the G 12's F 2.8.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:29 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead View Post
Can you get blurred backgrounds with your G12 when shooting your portrait shots?
you are not going to get a blurred background easily with any small sensor camera. while the equivelent focal length (in 35mm terms) is 28-140mm the actual focal length is ~6-30mm and since depth of field is a function of distance to subject, actual focal length and aperture, it is really difficult to isolate a subject with such short focal lengths without being very very close to the subject with the background further away.

Les,

I am glad you are enjoying your G12, i have always been a real fan of this series. the amount of external controls and the layout of the controls is some of the best of any series of camera. and the the 1/1.6" sensor handles dynamic range and higher iso much better than most compact cameras.

really is a great photographic tool and i am sure you will continue to enjoy it.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 8:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post

Les,

I am glad you are enjoying your G12, i have always been a real fan of this series. the amount of external controls and the layout of the controls is some of the best of any series of camera.I've only had it for about a month...but I'm really enjoying it. I love the controls and the easily changed settings, in this small camera.

When I started photography, back in the '60's...it was my hand held Sekonic light meter, gray cards, etc., basic SLR, eventually a basic Rangefinder and although it wasn't easy, initially for me to figure out back then...after I got the hang of it...well...as a result....I've always liked a camera with settings and external controls. The little G12 reminds me of my old Leica 11f, not just because of the controls
...but also with the raised viewfinder window and basic shape..no design accident on the part of Canon, I would think and the the 1/1.6" sensor handles dynamic range and higher iso much better than most compact cameras. it really does. Frankly I have to say I'm a bit surprised and impressed, with how well this little G handles delicate shading in available light portraits.

really is a great photographic tool and i am sure you will continue to enjoy it.
It really is a great photographic tool, that's for sure. In fact I'm trying not to be too enthusiastic about it...as at heart I'm a long time Pentax fan .

I realize it won't match a DSLR..but at this point, I wouldn't want to be without a Canon G series...along with my DSLR's.....it's that good .

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; Feb 16, 2011 at 8:06 PM.