Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 1, 2004, 8:46 PM   #1

Default S400 "chatters" while in autofocus....normal?

Picked up an S400 today and have one thing that seems kind of odd. While the shutter is halfway depressed, it makes kind of a "chattering" sound until it gets the AF lock. The A80 I had didn't do this. Is this normal?
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2004, 9:37 PM   #2

Yes, it is normal... mine does it as well.

Im not completely sure WHAT is doing it... but something must be doing something important, lol
KandieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 10:55 PM   #3

So are u guys happy with your s400 ?

I'm thinking about getting it too...

Since I'm not interested in all those manual settings, that I'm just the "point and shoot" type and that I want to carry it around a lot, this s400 seems perfect for me !!
Olivier12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 11:24 PM   #4

I like it so far (only first day with it). I'll compare it to the A80

The good:
Its smaller. The A80 was small, but not small enough to easily carry in a pocket like this is.

Nice battery charger that plugs into the wall with no cables.

Nice build quality. Canon is like that. The A80 was the same. All metal, solid feel to it.

It's very simple to use.

Good image quality (same as A80)

The bad:
It's very simple to use. I do miss some of the stuff the A80 had like aperture and shutter priority, portrait mode, etc. I also liked the "C1 and C2" and other things you could do right from the mode dial.
Red eye like all the rest of them.

The A80 and S400 are both nice cameras. The A80 has more features, kind of a "poor mans G3" but a heck of a lot smaller than a G3. The S400 is shirt pocket small, great image quality, but limited in manual settings.

If you want a small camera and dont want to mess with manual stuff, I cant see how you can go wrong.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:43 AM   #5

The S400 is an amazing camera, and is my first digital camera. So, I don't need all the manual controls because I probably won't use them "enough".

The mode dial on the S400 does bother me though.. it is quite stiff and hard to get to the mode you want (I always end up passing manual or stich mode...) but I don't know whether this is the same on other cameras -- it wasn't something I considered.

The quality is good but oif course there is redeye. Nevertheless, I don't think this should be a consideration as it can be removed in post-processing!
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:14 PM   #6

Thanks for your input. I'll surely go with the s400. It's perfect for my needs.

It's weird cuz some professional reviews stated that the s400 handles the red-eye problem very well. (see www.dcresource.com)
Olivier12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:24 PM   #7

Well, in my opinion the red-eye reduction is far from what I WANT, ESPECIALLY in auto mode... but with the red-eye reduction flash.. often there is little or no red eye I guess.

Maybe it is superior to many other compact cameras though... I wouldn't know
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:25 PM   #8

I saw that review. I can tell you that it is no better than the A80/A70, C4000 or Sony P10. They all do it. I like that site, but the red eye tests seem to be very hit and miss.

And the S400 does not have a red eye reduction flash like other cameras. It uses the AF assist beam instead.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:32 PM   #9

The red-eye reduction is one of the 5 flash modes on the S400?

If I understand how it works correctly, it sends a "preflash" to shrink the pupils
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:37 PM   #10

Nope. No preflash like most designs. It uses the red AF beam (read Steve's review). The manual suggests you have the subject look at the beam before the shot is taken. An odd way to do it, but neither it nor a preflash really works anyway.