Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:45 AM   #1

Default D60 accessories on a T1i?

Time to retire my old Canon D60. I was thinking of going to the Canon T1i. I was wondering how many D60 accessories I would be able to use on the Ti1. Lenses? Flash? IR Remote? Shot sequencer / delay timer? Basically, if it goes into the D60's lens mount, hot shoe, or plugs into the accessory connector will it work with the T1i? Is there another Canon in the 12MP and up range that does 1080p video that would be more compatible with the D60 accessories?
transco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:10 AM   #2
Super Moderator

any flash above the 420ex will work find on the new cams. the ir remote should be fine i believe as they all use a similar sequence.

if you want to shoot video, go up to the t2i. it has full manual controls for video and gives you more frame speed options at 1080p.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
any flash above the 420ex will work find on the new cams. the ir remote should be fine i believe as they all use a similar sequence.

if you want to shoot video, go up to the t2i. it has full manual controls for video and gives you more frame speed options at 1080p.
Thanks for the input. I checked out the T2i and, yes, for the kind of things I want to do, the T2i would be a better match... certainly worth the difference in price. Having 24fps and 30fps available at 1080p is a real plus. It's 'Eye-Fi' support is also a big plus for me.

Fortunately I have a 520EX flash that I use with a couple of 420EX's as slaves. The T2i is going to pretty much drain my toy fund for some time to come. It looks like a couple extra batteries is all I'll need to buy for now. In the future, I'd like to get the battery grip. I have one on the D-60 and find it is much easier to handle the camera with it on.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:00 PM   #4

Check out the newest in the range, the T3i. Has a folding LCD screen that is great for shooting video.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
Check out the newest in the range, the T3i. Has a folding LCD screen that is great for shooting video.
It's always a problem knowing where to draw the line. From what I've read, the the main advantages of the T3i are the foldout LCD screen and battery life (number of shots per charge). The question becomes... is that enough to warrant the extra US$100 it would take to buy the T3i. Any other advantages to the T3i?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 2:40 AM   #6
Super Moderator

the only difference is that it can control speedlights wirelessly, the tilt/swivel lcd and the 3x digi zoom available in video mode
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:11 AM   #7

To round out the consumer and 'prosumer' camera question, I guess we should throw the 60D into the mix as well; i.e. T2i vs. T3i vs. 60D.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:15 AM   #8
Super Moderator

yea, with the 60d you get a more robust body, closer to what you are used to with your d60 and faster continuous shooting drive, plus more dedicated controls.

i think the best thing would be to find a dealer that carries canon products and give each of them a try, to see how they feel in your hand. try out the features that separate each model and see how important they may be to your shooting style and which ends up being hte best balance of features and price.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:26 AM   #9

I'm not sure the 60D is more robust than the T1/2/3i, just bigger and heavier. I know people with Rebels (not specifically those models) who put them through hell and they always come back for more. Rebels have a very small and light form factor that suits many people, especially those with smaller hands, and with lightweight lenses mounted they make for very light - and durable - camera systems. Mount a heavy lens on a Rebel and the balance might start to feel a little odd, though there again it's quite manageable and it depends what you're used to. Choose whichever feels right in the hand and in the pocket, but don't let fears of longevity (or a lack of) influence your judgement.

There are many people who justify their D700's by saying they're more solidly built than a 5D2. I think that's nonsense. I have never heard of a 5D2 suffering from lack of strength or build integrity. The D700 is an amazingly heavy beast though, significantly heavier than the 5D2, but I regard that as a negative, not a positive. My own setup (5D, 7D) is about as heavy as I feel comfortable with, and often that's also just too heavy and gets left at home.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
yea, with the 60d you get a more robust body, closer to what you are used to with your d60 and faster continuous shooting drive, plus more dedicated controls.

i think the best thing would be to find a dealer that carries canon products and give each of them a try, to see how they feel in your hand. try out the features that separate each model and see how important they may be to your shooting style and which ends up being hte best balance of features and price.
You are right about that. My favorite 35mm SLR was (is) a Nikon F-2AS with a motor winder and battery pack. I'm used to a camera with a little heft to it. Twice what I originally planned on spending, but I finally decided to go with the 60D with a battery grip.