Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 3, 2011, 2:52 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tywyn
Posts: 105
Default Canon SX 30 IS information

Hi all,

I think I'm about to purchase this camera. I've read all the reviews which vary greatly on different review sites.

I currently own a Nikon D300 DSLR and I have considered the P100 but from most of the reviews I've read the Sx30 IS seems to have better image quality and the longer range (24-840mm) is another nice feature to have.

I did buy the Panasonic FZ100 on a friends recommendation but regretted my decision as soon as I downloaded the images, I wasn't very impressed with the quality of the image even at the lowest iso setting.

My one concern with the SX 30 is a few review sites have stated there is CA on almost all photo's. How bad is the CA (chromatic abberation) with this camera? I'm really looking for a few users actual experience of CA with the SX 30.

Some people might wonder why I want a point n shoot camera when I have a DSLR setup. I love my DSLR but for family days out carrying 20-30gk in a rucksack isn't much fun all day. I'm looking to get maximum range and very good quality and apart from the CA from the reviews I've read, the SX 30 seems the camera for me.

Any tips, advice, photo examples will be greatly appreciated

Howie
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:58 PM   #2
gbn
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Default

I also have been considering this camera.Here is a link of some bird pictures by a owner of this camera.

Good Luck


http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37957445
gbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:17 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tywyn
Posts: 105
Default

Also if anyone has any portrait or landscapes they could post I would appreciate it. I see plenty of birds and wildlife photographs but hardly any landscape/portrait photos

Thanks for any help

Howie
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:34 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiem View Post
Also if anyone has any portrait or landscapes they could post I would appreciate it. I see plenty of birds and wildlife photographs but hardly any landscape/portrait photos

Thanks for any help

Howie
Have you looked at the sample images in the Steve's review?
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...photos-99.html

The outdoor images show very severe chromatic aberration (purple fringing). I don't
think this is just a problem with the individual camera used for the review, some of the
outdoor images in the Camera Labs review are even worse.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...e_images.shtml
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:27 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tywyn
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbn View Post
I also have been considering this camera.Here is a link of some bird pictures by a owner of this camera.

Good Luck


http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37957445

Thanks for the link, I'd already seen these photos but they are excellent and was a pleasure looking at them again

I'm after more landscape photographs really and portraits to see how the skin tones and CA stands out in the landscapes. Thanks for taking the time to post the link though, much appreciated

Howie
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:34 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tywyn
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkpix View Post
Have you looked at the sample images in the Steve's review?
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...photos-99.html

The outdoor images show very severe chromatic aberration (purple fringing). I don't
think this is just a problem with the individual camera used for the review, some of the
outdoor images in the Camera Labs review are even worse.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...e_images.shtml
Thanks for the reply and the links. I have seen these images and also read the review but was wondering really if it might be a problem with just a few SX 30's or all of them. I was actually hoping to see user landscapes and how it was for them.

On the plus side CA can be fixed in Photoshop and various other applications so it would mean a bit more post processing work for me to do if I chose this camera. It does have tremendous versatility with the zoom and has steve states the image quality is great and from a point n shoot with a range of 24-840mm I guess there will always be drawbacks.

I'm really trying to find an ideal point and shoot camera that does probably 90% of what my dslr does and adoes it well, maybe I need to research some more or just go with my gut instinct and get this camera
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:14 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Scouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Camano Island, WA.
Posts: 2,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiem View Post
Also if anyone has any portrait or landscapes they could post I would appreciate it. I see plenty of birds and wildlife photographs but hardly any landscape/portrait photos

Thanks for any help

Howie
Funny you should ask Howie...

I bought my daughter the SX130 for Xmas knowing that she was planning a family trip to Egypt (To hell with a little revolution!) and that with a family she didn't have time for a full DSLR.

She got back last weekend and sent me these. I was pretty impresed with what she did.
Hate to say it but her composition is better than mine.

https://picasaweb.google.com/CamanoR...42504723026818

A good mixture of all types of shots. That camera handled some pretty severe lighting very well. Sized down with no Post proccessing

Hope this helps
__________________
Ken.
"You are who you pretend to be."
Kurt Vonnegut Jnr.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:44 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tywyn
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Funny you should ask Howie...

I bought my daughter the SX130 for Xmas knowing that she was planning a family trip to Egypt (To hell with a little revolution!) and that with a family she didn't have time for a full DSLR.

She got back last weekend and sent me these. I was pretty impresed with what she did.
Hate to say it but her composition is better than mine.

https://picasaweb.google.com/CamanoR...42504723026818

A good mixture of all types of shots. That camera handled some pretty severe lighting very well. Sized down with no Post proccessing

Hope this helps
Thanks for sharing the link and yes, she did well some great captures there. I might just end up getting myself a Canon SX130 if I can't make my mind up on a longer superzoom. Would also save me a lot of money

Cheers,

Howie
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:22 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Scouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Camano Island, WA.
Posts: 2,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiem View Post
Thanks for sharing the link and yes, she did well some great captures there. I might just end up getting myself a Canon SX130 if I can't make my mind up on a longer superzoom. Would also save me a lot of money

Cheers,

Howie
I did a bit of research before I got this for Jenny. I'm an Oly man but this seemed better in all of the tests I read up on. I looked at Nikon, Oly, Sony, Panasonic and more of the same type of camera. the SX130 came up best.
Good luck on whatever you get, good shooting.
Ken
__________________
Ken.
"You are who you pretend to be."
Kurt Vonnegut Jnr.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:09 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tywyn
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
I did a bit of research before I got this for Jenny. I'm an Oly man but this seemed better in all of the tests I read up on. I looked at Nikon, Oly, Sony, Panasonic and more of the same type of camera. the SX130 came up best.
Good luck on whatever you get, good shooting.
Ken

Cheers Ken, I'll keep you posted on what I decide to get in the end
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:24 PM.