Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 12, 2011, 8:39 PM   #1

Default Help with my new Canon SX30 IS

First let me apologize for use of any improper terminology. I'm not really a camera buff, so please bear with me.

After many years with an old Canon SD600 and S2 IS my wife decided she wanted us to get a SuperZoom for a trip out West. Being a satisfied Canon owner I decided to try the SX30 IS. I got it for a ridiculously low price of $265 at Sears on a price match and with some reward points I essentially got for nothing.

I was thrilled...until I started taking pictures. To my eye, they are just awful. No detail, lots of blurring, a lot of yellow tinge in greens, other colors just seem off. I swear that my old S2 IS takes more realistic pictures. I've tried the camera in Auto, Program (Somewhat better than Auto) and Manual, but I really haven't gotten one picture that would wow me. I thought I got a bad camera at first, so I returned it and got a replacement. Same problems. I'm so dissatisfied, that I'm about to spend a lot more money on a Nikon P500. I would appreciate any suggestions to improve picture quality and maybe some links to pictures that show the shooting data so that I can compare.

I was also wondering about the two older cameras. Are they totally obsolete with today's offerings?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
IslandLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2011, 5:41 PM   #2

check settings. make sure auto focus is on, anti shake is on, all of the settings are where they are supposed to be...macro is off for regular shooting, etc.
make sure you wait when pushing the button for auto focus to focus!
If you don't know what the settings are for....reset the camera to factory defaults...then start again. Regarding colors, check the white balance and other settings...filters settings...whether it is on vibrant, low color etc. and white balance. It has tons of different settings.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 7:05 AM   #3
Super Moderator

You'll have to post some pics so we can see what's going on. It's a very nice camera so...
Old May 14, 2011, 2:58 PM   #4

Thank you for taking the time to try and answer my question. I guess I should have been more clear. I have had an older iteration of this camera for some time, so I was somewhat familiar with how this camera would work before I operated it. I'm fairly certain that I am operating it correctly. In Program mode, I use the AF Point zoom to check the focus.

I guess my point is, that to my eye, this camera in Auto mode is making some bad decisions. My lack of terminology is in relaying exactly what I see. I took Peripatetic's suggestion about uploading images, but the file size is limited to such small files that I don't think anything meaningful would show. If there is a better way to show larger images, please let me know. Also, what would be an appropriate file size for discussion?

I would agree that the camera itself is very nice, the IS is incredible, but I think the picture quality is lacking. I really want to like this camera. I've liked every other Canon I've ever had. They have all been great.

If either of you own this camera, I would appreciate trading some emails about what is specifically happening.

Thank you
Old May 15, 2011, 1:40 PM   #5

Default I'm new at this, so please bare with me.

I haven't had an online photo account until now. I don't know how to put a smaller photo in the thread that links to a larger photo. Hopefully the link below will work and you will be able to see some photos. These turned out well, but my results have not always been consistent. The camera seems to only work well in a narrow range of variables.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5347265...ream/lightbox/

Thanks in advance.
Old May 15, 2011, 11:09 PM   #6

I looked at your photos and see what you mean. The one with the orchid did not seem to be in focus, least it wasn't sharp and wasn't 'bright'.
The second one of the iris wasn't much to look at since it was lost in the photo other than that the color was good.
The greenery one wasn't much, color was bland. It didn't have much to focus on, or should say it had too much.
The bright orange flowers had good color but needed the focus adjusted to either the entire photo or brought in to shoot a specific area, smaller area.
Old May 16, 2011, 2:04 AM   #7
Super Moderator

IslandLife

The pictures you posted seem fine within the range of what I can see.

Are those crops or the full size image down-scaled?

I can't see the EXIF data on the pictures, I think you have to enable that now in Flickr, it's switched off by default.

The point really is to post up the pictures where you have problems, not the ones that came out okay.
Old May 18, 2011, 7:51 PM   #8

Thanks for looking. I thought the first question was whether I was using the camera correctly? Those are full sized images down-scaled by the service. You can find the EXIF data here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5347265...n/photostream/

by clicking on the link beside the picture that has the camera model. I know I'm not very practiced with a camera, but even these shots don't seem quite right. I borrowed a friends Samsung HZ30W and the difference between that camera and the SX30 was visible The photos were much sharper and the colors more accurate on the Samsung. I guess the question I should be asking is what should I be able to expect out of the SX30?

Thanks for taking your time.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:49 AM   #9

I took some photos with a friends camera, same model. Here are three examples, no pp except for resizing.

Last edited by lisalonewolf; Jun 9, 2011 at 6:53 AM. Reason: to ADD pictures
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:59 AM   #10

PS
The exif that is important is that it was set to manual, ISO 80, 1/250th, approx f 2.7-4.5, and nothing special except macro setting. Used only basic setting. Friend wanted to show me all the bells and whistles but just wanted to try it out. I did find one VERY useful thing....in custom you can't, yippee, put the date on pics...
The time I shot these were in the afternoon, sunny, and WINDY. Seems like it will be like no wind...I get ready to push the button and WHOOSH...

I like the SX310 it is the Only Canon I can pick up and figure out at the get go. I like the feel of it, the way the dial works and that the dial is Marked, his other 210s dial is not marked and the menu is not as hot, plus no viewer. It takes great shots, have some while we were moving in his truck came out great. I was only playing with it for maybe half an hour...to and from the starbucks, but had a blast.

Last edited by lisalonewolf; Jun 9, 2011 at 7:06 AM. Reason: second paragraph