Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 8, 2004, 12:02 PM   #1

Default Canon IXUS range (S400, SD100 etc) help please :)

Ok, I've been looking at the Cannon IXUS 400 (or Canon S400) and it seems to be getting really good reviews - However it's about 50 pounds out of my price range.

Can anyone tell me if the cheaper camera's in the IXUS range are any good compared to the 400? The reviews suggest not, but I keep getting confused between the IXUS labelling and the America system (S or SD).

Or are there any alternatives that retain *some* or the 400's image quality, and manual controls (or at least a range of presets to use).

Thanks in advance for any help
Scae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:44 AM   #2

I can only comment on the S230, SD100 and the old S110. I never tried the 230 but it is said to be the same as the SD100 with a different card, and i have used that one. In any case, i would strongly suggest the 400 because for one thing it walks all over the SD100 i tried, (and therefore the 230) and is a vast improvement over my old 110. If this is any indication, chances are also wipes the floor with the rest of the elphs, which may be an exaggeration in some case. But it's pretty much generally accepted that the 400 is the best elph so far, and i love mine and am totally happy with it while considering what it is.

I say hold out for the 400 because the price has been dropping lately due to canon trying to get rid of thier stock because they are coming out with a bunch of new models soon. I've seen it as low as about $329, and just bought one for my sister from circuit city at $359 a few weeks ago. I'm sure they will be dropping more in the coming weeks. Chances are they will break the $300 mark before long, and i would recommend waiting. The SD 100 i tried took really lousy shots compared to my 400.not even close. Tons of noise and blur.
dazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:48 AM   #3

Thanks

Yea, it seemed to be a toss up between the SD100 and the S400 - They seem pretty similar according to their specs but they have a huge difference in price (amazon seems to be the cheapest, the SD100 is 180, while the S400 is 300).

If I can get it for less than $350 as you suggest then I'll buy it. I suppose now I just have to wait for the price to fall a bit
Scae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:50 AM   #4

By the way, the IXUS and the S labels are the same cameras. Why they label them differently is beyond me. The only difference i am aware of has to do with the language capabilities. I think the region a perticular model is targeted for has that regions perticular language set as default, and my contain alternate languages for surrounding countries. Not sure exactly, but whatever the case, the camera itself as far as all it's setting and such are the same. Seems a bit stupid to me to cause confusion by naming them different ly for different countries, but maybe they have thier reasons.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:54 AM   #5

Good choice ! I could be wrong about this, but assuming as i have read that the SD100 is the same camera as the 230, then there is a good reason why the 400 is so much better. The 400 has the latest generation processor which is supposedly a big improvement over the older elph versions. And if the 100 is indeed just an update of the 230 that uses a differnt card, then it probably also has the old processor.