Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 9, 2004, 1:34 AM   #1

Default why...does the a70 do this

im not sure if im alone but when i turn my camera on and off i get a bad sound before the lense retracts. i know it makes a clicking sound when focusing but this is when the camera is turned on and off. i really cant explain the sound but it dosn't sound the way a camera should.
peter-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2004, 4:10 AM   #2

I don't remember mine making any weird sounds beside the buzzing lense micromotors. Try another A70 in a local store and if yours sounds differently, I suggest you replace it asap, because this may be a sign of a worse problem coming.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 4:41 AM   #3

Could it be related to temperature?

A few days ago when it was below 55F, I noticed my a70 making loud clicking sounds when i zoom/unzoom and turn the camera on and off. For some reason it has stopped making loud clicking noises now that it is warmer, above 55F.
psnark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 3:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnark
Could it be related to temperature?

A few days ago when it was below 55F, I noticed my a70 making loud clicking sounds when i zoom/unzoom and turn the camera on and off. For some reason it has stopped making loud clicking noises now that it is warmer, above 55F.
it very well could be...its been below 50F ware i am for a long time..though it does it inside also.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:48 PM   #5

You're right, it's not the result of cold temperature. The grinding noise from the lens motors returned after I unzoomed the a70 lens against a window. Other than the noise, my a70 works like it did when it was new.
psnark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 6:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnark
You're right, it's not the result of cold temperature. The grinding noise from the lens motors returned after I unzoomed the a70 lens against a window. Other than the noise, my a70 works like it did when it was new.
yea mine works great still. i guess im just paranoid 8)
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:03 AM   #7

If it's any consolation, I used my A70 in -30C (-40C to -45C with wind) for a good 30 minutes just last week. It ran pretty fine, no side effects.
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 9:12 AM   #8
boh

Mine makes the same noise, whenturning on and off. I have it since July and it works fine. I was concerned about this when I heard that first time, but after 6 months everything is fine. And I didn't have any strange noises while zooming.
boh is offline   Reply With Quote