Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 9, 2004, 12:36 AM   #1

Default New camera/printer/warranty - what else do i need?

Hello Folks,

decided on the Canon S400 with a Canon CP-200 direct printer (mostly for RV travel/camping).

completely new to all this..not counting the blinding days and nights reading reviews, forums, etc. help with the following would be greatly appreciated:

1) i've read that if you buy from a non-authorized Canon dealer, Canon does not honor the warranty. given horror stories about online buying of digicam equipment, husb has been looking at Fry's. they aren't 'authorized' but stock pretty much the entire Canon line with accessories. does anyone know the real scoop on this authorized/non-authorized business with Canon? can't find a thing about it on their website.

What xtra items should i pick up in order to begin?

2) Printer seems fairly straightforward, guess more paper will do it, tho i need the smaller paper cassette that comes with the CP-300 and is an 'accessory' with the 200...cept i can't find it Anywhere. anything else for the printer?

S400 Camera:

3) all sites recommend a second Battery pack. it comes (supposedly) with a NB-1LH. should i get a second one of same, or are there better choices? will two be enough to get started or do most of you carry more? [have a feeling this is a laughably newbie type question, but i don't know the answer]

4) all sites also recommend more Memory. comes with a 32m CF (type I) card. 256 is the minimum recommendation. how much would you suggest and what Brand?

5) anything i'm forgetting?

will pick up items like a car charger, bag, etc. later. right now i just need to know details on the basics for getting started.

thanks much,
Karen
Karen 1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2004, 7:37 PM   #2

Karen, glad you were able to make a choice here!! There's so many too choose from it can be nearly overwhelming, but I'm sure you'll be more than happy with your S400. Although it's true that it's not the newest/hottest gadget, it's still state of the art.

I wouldn't worry a great deal about another battery. It holds a good charge, and is good for over 200 shots (which is a great deal of pictures). The average file size for a 4 MP shot on the "superfine" compression mode is about 2.2 MB. So, if you get a 256 MB card, you'll most likely run out of memory before batteries. Don't be alarmed at first, either! Powering it up the first time consumes a lot of the battery's energy, so the first charge doesn't last very long. Don't let it alarm you; I thought mine was defective!!

As for what type of memory to get, get the cheapest. The only thing that determines the speed of the reading and writing is the hardware and software inside the camera (on consumer digicams, at least). For size, assume each picture is going to be at least 2 MB (and you don't want to reduce the quality; why else would you pay big money for the S400?) and then determine how many pictures you'll be taking in-between visiting your computer (with the inhibition of wasting film gone, you'll be taking more pictures in the first place). For example, if you'll be gone a day and a half from your computer each time, you may want a 516 MB card (I think that's the size anyway).

Also, get a lens cloth from a camera store and some compressed air to clean the lens. Never use the cloth unless you absolutely have to (for a fingerprint on the lens or something).

You may want to purchase the camera from an authorized dealer. Although Canon equipment is great, it's horribly expensive to repair. My S110 broke because a fine grain of sand got into it (get the housing for it if you're taking it on a beach!) and it was going to cost $240 to repair. So, if you can't afford to repair it (it probably won't break), you may want to give concideration to an autorized vendor (IF you can find a reasonably priced one). However, Fry's is a good pick. I've returned some high-cost items before without any question, so if you get your S400 home and it simply won't turn on or something, you'll get a no-hassle exchange.

Hope I was more helpful than long-winded!! ops:
Johnny
PacificJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 4:00 PM   #3

Hi Johnny!

glad i checked again, didn't think anyone was going to answer. you might enjoy an additional site/forum i've found, much more active member-wise:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/default.asp

"if you get a 256 MB card, you'll most likely run out of memory before batteries. Don't be alarmed at first, either! Powering it up the first time consumes a lot of the battery's energy, so the first charge doesn't last very long. Don't let it alarm you; I thought mine was defective!!"

appreciate the heads-up..would not have known. as it happens, husb picked up two, 256 SanDisc cards, hopefully that will be enough..least to start. which reminds me - since i'm Not using this with any sort of computer interaction, does the camera allow me to erase photos i'm done with, thus freeing up space again?

"get a lens cloth from a camera store and some compressed air to clean the lens. Never use the cloth unless you absolutely have to (for a fingerprint on the lens or something)."

will do. or won't as the case may be.

here's what i wound up doing (before i saw your post), hope it strikes you as ok:

husb bought both the camera and printer at Fry's. plus paper for the printer and memory.

i got the following from Canon direct (very nice to deal with btw)

carrier, xtra battery pack, and a USB card i don't need..came as a 'pak'. but it got me the battery (otherwise they're back-ordered) and i think the shoulder-carrier will be perfect for the camera and peripherals.

DC chargers for both camera and printer - pricey, but necessary in my case.

the small camera-only case for other occasions and xtra protection.

had a hunch those metal neck straps would be ideal for when i'm in 'shooting mode', the wrist strap would just be annoying. found it came with a tiny tripod (the '6' or sumthin like that), so got the set.

credit card size paper cassette for the CP-200, Canon only included that with the 300 for some oddball reason.

Anyway, think i'm set. oh! from another source got some photo albums so i can shoot, print and stick 'em in there

all should be here by the weekend..

Karen
Karen 1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 2:22 AM   #4

To answer your question, yes, you can delete pictures on camera.

Sounds like you're quite set!! Did you get a tripod? You may want one, especially since to get less noise you want a lower "ISO." (The term ISO bothers me with digital cameras since it's referencing film speed...) The tripod you mentioned sounded like a tabletop tripod, which is exceedingly convienent, but will never substitute a full-fledged one.

I also saw that accessory pack when I was tripod shopping with my roommate yesterday. Not a bad deal!! That's some handy stuff.

It sounds like you'll be having some adventures with your camera! Keep in touch with me, I'd love to see some of the pictures you take on your journeys. My email is [email protected] When you email me, take the capital letters out!

Have fun!!!
Johnny
PacificJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote