Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:09 PM   #1

Default Canon S1 IS problem

I have a Canon S1 IS and this is what I see when lookin thru my viewer and it hasn't happened before. I took a shot and D/Led to this post. Could it be a CR1220 battery? or something else. Everything else works just fine. Thanks for the assistance.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  82.0 KB
Cokeybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:25 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to Steve's.

Your main imaging sensor (the cameras's CCD) appears to be defective.

Early failure of this component was a widespread problem with your camera (which uses a Sony CCD sensor that is prone to failure in humid environments due to a design defect).

Canon was replacing the defective sensors at no charge (even outside of warranty). So, I'd contact them to find out if they're still doing that.

Here's a service bulletin you can reference:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...01e0248013d2f6

Here's a thread about the issue:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...cd-issues.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:14 PM   #3

Thnx Jim. I just went on the Canadian Canon site and found the # for their contacts. Is there any problems in questioning from Canon that may have to be aware of, such as what, where and why? I believe all will be well on Monday when I call them. I "hope". LOL.
Cheers and thnx again M8.

Last edited by Cokeybill; Jun 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM.
Cokeybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:37 PM   #4
Administrator

This was a relatively widespread issue that impacted a number of camera models from a variety of manufacturers, and was caused by a design defect in some of the Sony CCD sensors used in the affected models.

The type of image you're seeing is typical of what you'd see when the sensor starts to fail, and i doubt you'll need to give them much in the way of extra information. But, just in case you reach someone that's unfamiliar with this problem, here's a link to a service bulletin on the Canon Canada web site that you can refer to:

http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/...tail/a_id/4304
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:42 PM   #5

Again Jim, your assistance is greatly appreciated. Pour yourself a long cold one.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:09 AM   #6

My S1 IS had exactly the same problem. In August of 2010 it was fixed under the Canon recall at no cost to me. Canon even paid postage. They replaced the sensor and returned the camera to factory spec or better. It works great and is one helluva good camera. It's pics are first rate and amazingly sharp for 3.2mp. It's certainly good enough that I am not considering getting rid of it.

The last month for recall service is Jan 2012. After that they will fix the camera but it will cost you $125 minimum. I advise you contact Canon service and get your camera in the pipeline ASAP.
djohnfot is offline   Reply With Quote