Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 10, 2004, 1:27 AM   #1

Default S400 help with action shots

Hi, well i just got my s400, and here's the thing, I love how it is a pretty nice point and shoot.

But I don't know much about aperture and exposure compensation or anything of that sort.

So since there is no action mode, and since the S400 is kind of limited with manual controls. What settings would I need to set it to that will allow me to take action shots, like of someone walking doesn the street or at a sporting event?

I guess this is geared towards someone who already has an S400 and know how and what settings I would need.

thanks
Gizmofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2004, 7:02 PM   #2

Action shots took me awhile to learn too!!

The automatic mode works quite quickly. Never fully press in the shutter all at once; focus it first with the half-depress. This will actually speed up the photo taking process, so if your action shot is a person walking down the street (or something similarly relatively slow), I generally wouldn't worry about the manual functions.

Faster action shots are trickier. What you really want is a manual focus (e.g., the focusing ring on an SLR), but since you don't have this option, you want to anticipate your shot and use the focus lock. (To lock the focus [you must be in manual mode], you press the shutter button in half-way and find a focus point you like, and then press the macro/infinite button [while the shutter is still half-depressed]. You can further speed the process up by pressing the light metering button in the same way; that locks the scene-analysis information.) With the shot anticipated (e.g., the goal at a soccer game, a flower a humming bird is approaching, a child holding a gift), the picture can be shot almost instantly. You can also turn on the high-speed continuous shooting mode if you're expecting to photograph an action-filled moment.

If you don't know where action will be, you may want to turn on the infinite focus. Your subject won't look very sharp, and it'll look pretty bad on your computer screen, but with 4 MP it'll actually make some pretty nice lookin 4X6 and good 5X7 (inch) prints.

Hope this helps some.
PacificJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 3:05 AM   #3

Hi thanks for the info, that will really help me on taking action shots.

I just encountered something with my s400 which I wasn't sure if it was normal or not, and was wondering if you had experienced it.

It was taking basically 1-2 seconds for a focusing confirmation. And it was happening pretty consistently. Basically you know how you press the shutter button halfway, then you hear the scratchy sounds (the sound it makes when focusing), the usually the focus lamp lights up or on the LCD screen it shows that the camera is focusing on. But what was happening to me earlier was that after the focusing sounds, it was taking about 1-2 secs, a couple times even longer, for the focus lamp to go on, or for the screen to show where the camera was focusing.

Has that ever happened to you? Could it have been that that the battery was getting low?

Thanks
Gizmofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 4:44 AM   #4

This has happened to me, it seems pretty normal. My old S110 did the same thing. Focusing time is one of the few downfalls to digital cameras.
PacificJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 9:43 PM   #5

Gizmofreak,
The fastest focusing time is applied to the infinity camera setting. I would say it take no more than 0.3 sec. However, the subject should be far enough (consult the manual for the distance that camera considers as infinity for wide and tele lens settings).
Leo
LeoB is offline   Reply With Quote