Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 14, 2004, 9:52 AM   #1

Default So I've been told -Canon has discontinued the 10D, question

THe question is ... IN FAVOR OF WHAT ?

As nice as the Rebel/300d is .... it's not the 10 D .

Yes the Rebel takes the same nice looking shots , but lacks in features and construction .

Anyone heard what it's replacement will be ?

It was a top runner in my decision between it and the Nikon D100 but then I found that NO one has 10 D's and their back ordered everywhere , then one savy supplier tells me they've discontinued it and will be releasing something new in the coming months . :?

Steve ? What's the word ?

Thanks
PetreTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:28 PM   #2

From what I have read, the 10D is in short supply because Canon is making more DRebels. They are selling very well and share some parts with the 10D. The statement I was told was that the 1D has been replaced. That stores can't get any more.

What I have heard on the 10D is that it is in very low supply
(but not gone.)

But what do I know? I don't work for a camera dealer or Canon. I just read and listen. So I could be wrong.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 5:57 PM   #3

I heard a rumour (from a usually reliable friend (he has a 10D) who visited a Canon dealer in the UK just before xmas) that Canon have a DSLR which will cost approx 1500 (10D was 1250) but will have approx 10mp & will use the lens mount of the 10D (not the modified version of the 300). No news on if it will be full frame CMOS or not. The rumour is that this new camera was due to be launched at a show early in 2004......Isn't there usually a big show in Vegas about then?

I don't know how true all this is however as I have heard the rumours 2nd hand, so don't blame me if it is a load of rubbish! However this would seem to stack up with other stuff I have read or heard about reported in magazines - Canon launching 20 cameras this year, 3 big manufactures launching 10mp cameras (two named but not Canon), plus the general way DSLR's are developing.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has heard these sorts of rumours....or anything else.
ldunn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:15 PM   #4

The show is called PMA and it's in Feb (forget the exact dates.) Its the biggest photography trade show of the year and all the big manufacturers anounce cameras then. There will be a new camera and it will replace the 1D. That is a specialized camera where AF, frames-per-second, and huge burst shooting is the goal (photo journalist, sports photographer....) That is all but confirmed (it is very hard to get a 1D, if not impossible... I've been told from several people that stores can't get new ones.) But it's price will be much higher than your listing... so you're not talking about that camera.

Now, there is another rumor with less traction that says that there will be a new camera between the DRebel and the 10D. That would fit the price range you suggest. That seems a bit silly to me, but I'm not a marketing person... so who knows? Maybe.

Eric
Old Jan 22, 2004, 12:22 PM   #5

Eric - thanks for your e-mail......it was the PMA I was thinking of.

Interesting news about 1D replacement.....although it is probably out of my price range.......the 10D replacement however......

I heard that Canon batch produce their DSLR's (can't recall where I heard this) - ie. they estimate how many units they think they will be able to sell at a particular price point over a particular time period, build that number of units & that is it volume wise, at least until they tool up for the next batch.....which in the fast moving world of digital cameras will inevitably be the next new model......this is not like the car industry which turn out the same basic product day in day out continuously for 6 years. When Canon run out of a particular model earlier than they anticipated they can't easily just turn on the production taps to produce some more - they may have already modified the production line for a another camera line.

If we think back to D30, D60 & now potentially the 10D I recall that there were reports that all these were running low on stock just shortly before a new model was announced.

My money is on an announcement at the PMA in Feb on the 10D replacement.....I can't wait!

......I also wouldn't mind betting that by the Autumn the 300D (as it is called in the UK or DRebel as it is known in the US) gets low on stock & is then replaced by a slightly cheaper model.....500 mark maybe??? but I'm getting ahead of myself......I don't know how well the 300D is selling actually, maybe people are just paying the extra for the 10D & this is why the 10D has sold out.

It is interesting that you heard a rumour about a model between the 300D & the 10D & the one I heard about was a little more than the 10D.......maybe Canon are really going to surprise us with a double release - a 1000 & 1500 price point DSLRs?.......it would fit nicely if they do manage to get the 300D replacement down to 500 mark.......What do you think about that totally unfounded theory!?
Old Jan 22, 2004, 2:37 PM   #6

The D60 isn't a good example because that was really a reaction to the Nikon D100. They put it out early (too early?) so they could compete. What they had at the time (D30) wasn't nearly as good, so they reacted quickly. I guess that is to their credit, but it meant a camera with AF troubles that they killed off very quickly.

While I agree that proper inventory management means you lower supply when you are about to kill off a product, I don't believe they have removed the 10D. What I've heard is that its hard to get, not that it is impossible to get. The problem is that the DRebel is outselling the 10D, and the most expensive part (the sensor) is the same between them. Since there isn't an infinite supply of sensors, I bet they shifted production away from the 10D because of how well the DRebel is selling.

Now could that be used for this logic "we should replace the 10D early because it isn't selling well compared to the DRebel? They are too close in functionaly, see?!?!" I don't know. But there is a serious problem with killing product lines quickly. It pisses off customers and 3rd party manufacturers. If a product doesn't stay on the shelves for a while, then its difficult to find 3rd party items for it (batteries, software that supports it, camera bags designed for it...) because it isn't worth it to a company to make that. Do that enough times, and customers get pissed off at you... and leave or stop upgrading. In the case of a DSLR, leaving is too expensive, so instead they'll stop upgrading.

Unfortunately, human nature is too easily corrupted by the culture (newer is better, spend, spend, spend) so my logic (which is the logic of business from 5-10 years ago) might no longer apply. If true, that is sad.... but this is why I'll be a bit surprised if the 10D were replaced. Maybe they'll put something above it (and keep the drebel below it) in price points and also put out the 1D's replacement (wouldn't it be great if that were the $1,500 camera!!!) but I would be surprised if the 10D were killed off this quickly in the product cycle.

Eric
Old Jan 22, 2004, 3:07 PM   #7

Rumors, rumors everywhere but not a fact to read

[Rumor Fuel]
The rumors going round here are of a new 8mp Canon EOS to fit between the 6mp 10d and the 11mp 1ds.
[/Rumor Fuel]

Quote:
Now, there is another rumor with less traction that says that there will be a new camera between the DRebel and the 10D. That would fit the price range you suggest. That seems a bit silly to me, but I'm not a marketing person... so who knows? Maybe.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 11:22 PM   #8

The thing that I can give as fact is that I know people who work at camera stores and they say they can't order a 1D any more. And haven't for a few weeks.

They also say that you can order a 10D, but there will be a delay.
-----------
Is the delay because Canon is considering killing the 10D? I don't know, but I don't think so.

The rest is rumor. And heck, those facts could be lies. I don't know why they would lie (it's in their interest not to, I've spend $5K or so in equipment with them) but they could be.

Eric
Old Jan 23, 2004, 3:27 PM   #9

"Rumors, rumors everywhere but not a fact to read " - very true Peter for most, if not all of my comments at least......but isn't it fun to indulge in a bit of speculation now & again about what could happen over the next few months???? Well I've enjoyed sharing thoughts on the subject & hearing those of others at least - thanks to both you & Eric. Bottom line is that unless one of us works for Canon (& I don't) none of us know for sure what is going on.....& I bet that if someone from Canon in the know were reading our e-mails that they have been kept at least amused.....if not worried that they have a leak in their marketing team somewhere . Peter - 8MP will do me nicely! Full frame sensor???

Eric - nice slant on the 300D/Rebel gobbling up all the sensors.....it is interesting that amoung my friends & colleagues who have taken a close look at the 300D & 10D all of them have said that they would go for the 10D even after taking the price difference into account....about 400-450 at street level....partially due to the slight restriction on some features but a large part down to feel/build quality.

For the record, personally I have 2 or 3 issues why I have not gone for the 10D yet.....and I have been very very tempted. 2 years ago I bought the Canon 17-35mm F2.8 L series lens, the 70-200 F2.8 IS & the matching 2x converter to accompany me on a round-the-world trip. To try & offset the size & weight I took a, no don't laugh, an Eos 300 body. My arguement here was that it is the lenses which dictate the quality more than the camera - especially when entry level cameras are as good as the 300. I also had an Eos 620 (remember those!) & an Eos 5 to choose from. The 300 coped remarkably well in the company of the higher quality optics & the weight & size saving really helped when backpacking.... espcially at 14,000ft on the Inca trail, but that is another story. Well, I have become so used to having such a wide angle that I now don't like the idea of dropping back to a 28mm (my old lens was the 28-105 USM). Additionally, with the release of the 300D the lens mount was modified to permit development of wider angle lenses, I want to see if this is going to become standard across Canon's DSLR range.....especially as I like having the wide end available. Finally, my next major travel/photo trip is not until this Easter, so I can afford to hold off until then. I must say that in over 1500 shots there were only two occassions where I felt I needed something between 35mm & 70mm - the two lenses & the converter worked really well together & while I consider the 17-35mm is an okay to good performer it is no where near the class of the 70-200 F2.8 IS which is just such an awesome lens....even with the 2x converter. I have blown a significant number of shots up to 8"x12", framed them & have many of them decorating my home & even at this size I can't really fault the results from the 70-200. Interestingly the cost of film & developing for 1500 shots probably would have paid for a 10D!!!

We really should all return here after the PMA to swop comments just to find out how far away from reality we have all been......prizes for closest & most wild theories maybe????

Now have you heard the rumours of aliens attacking the Mars rovers?.........

Have fun.....
Old Jan 24, 2004, 2:18 AM   #10

The reason to buy the 10D over the DRebel isn't picture quality (as you saw.) It's functional/interface issues. If you shoot bursts of pictures, then get the 10D (2fps & 4 pic buff vs. 2.5fps & 9 pic buff.) If you do lots in full manual get the 10D (the one dial & modal toggle button sucks, IMHO. The two dials of the 10D makes more sense.) But if you shoot mostly in more automatic modes it probably doesn't matter. If you do a lot of flash work, the flash exposure compensation is nice... but how many really use that?

I also wouldn't get the DRebel... but that is because of what I do. Heck, I want more FPS and a deeper buffer... the 10D's gets in the way some times.

If you get good glass, the DRebel is capable of producing great pictures. But in the right/wrong situation, the DRebel will get in your way whereas the 10D will do exactly what you want easier.

Eric